Accidentally picked existing folder to sync to - Linux client removed all existing files

I installed the Linux client a few weeks ago, but I didn’t have time to properly set it all up. Every time I rebooted however it kept prompting me to set it up. So one day I did, except I accidentally told it to sync an existing folder with important files. No big deal, I figured. It would just make the folder a lot more crowded.

But later when I went to go retrieve some of those files they were all gone! Replaced by the contents of my gdrive.

Thankfully I can recover most of the files from backups and emails, but this seems to be a major design flaw or bug.

@sethj: Apologies for the trouble. I’d like to ask a few questions about your case:

1. For the existing folder that you chose, did it have files that are also in Drive?
  2. When you added your account, did you only choose to sync specific files or did you sync all your files (step #4 here: How to get started with Insync)?
  3. Please check the folder /path/to/your/insync/folder/.insync-trash if the previous contents were moved there.