Getting Started - With Full Hard Drive

I currently have a mac with an attached 2TB disk pack which I would like to migrate to the cloud. Ideally I want to just select the drive which currently holds the data and sync that to google drive rather than create a new empty folder which will sync and then copy the files into it - is that possible? If not then whats the most fool proof method of doing it? I dont have capacity elsewhere in the machine to copy the files and hence would I need to create a blank folder and then move the files on the drive and hence not use any more storage than it currently does?

Any thoughts welcome.

@Nick_Thorley Right now, one-way sync is not yet possible. It is on our feature list and I will +1 you on this.

As a work-around, you may use the selective sync option, to unselect all the files from your Google Drive not to sync locally.

Use the “Add to Insync” option to add your files from your Mac to your Google Drive. I would to also make note that, Insync will create alias inside the Insync folder. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I am actually uploading in bulk not downloading. I thought setup sync with blank folder and then copy all files into it and sync upload. Would I be better uploading them in chrome drag and drop before removing them locally and re syncing. Is there a way I could upload them in a browser then put the same files in the sync folder locally and it would confirm they are both the same and show them as synced and hence avoid a bulk sync?

@Nick_Thorley If you copy a file inside the Insync folder it will be uploaded to Google Drive cloud. We don’t have yet a file compare feature that will allow to detect any duplicates inside the Insync folder. We will have this in version 1.4. No ETA for the release. :smile:

Let me know if this answers your use-case. :smile:

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply. I think it does but just to be 100% certain. I need to get all of my hard disk synced (approx 1TB) in as short a time as possible. Thus I guess to summarise my question is - is there any speed difference to

1. Do as I have done which is to setup insync to sync and blank folder and then move all items into it.

2. I wondered if it would be quicker to drag the files into Chrome and upload via a browser interface and then sync back. However I thought I could move the files into the insync folder prior to the sync and then hopefully it wouldnt need to download the full 1TB as it would realise most of the files are already in sync or isnt it that simple?

Option 1 is working but is doing one file about every 10 secs and hence will take approx 60 days to complete. This is fine but I was just hoping to reduce that.

Thanks

@Nick_Thorley Bandwidth control is not yet supported. Your patience is needed. :slight_smile: