Hidden (dot) files in Linux syncing

I’m running arch linux and having issues with hidden files syncing through a symlink. I want to sync the contents of my home folder, but I don’t want the hidden files to sync.

I did try unchecking them after syncing the entire folder, but it said it would remove them locally and leave them on drive, which is the complete opposite of what I actually want to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried the Ignore List feature?

https://forums.insynchq.com/t/how-to-ignore-a-file/43

Would that mean adding an exception for every hidden folder? I have about 30 and a new one might add itself based on a program update or installation.

edit: I actually have about 80 hidden files and folders

No, it’s globally based so just add it one time.

Let me know if that works for you.

Hi terpua,

Sorry for the long delay in response but I had an issue where nothing would sync at all, but now it’s working again. Is your suggestion that I add an exception for every dotfile I have in my home folder, because I have around 80 or so hidden files in my home folder. I was reading a post from a couple of years ago, where you needed to start insync with the --include-dot-files option to get it to sync those. Is there an --exclude-dot-files option or something similar now?

FWIW, Unix has no such thing as hidden files (despite common misconception). The convention of dot-files being hidden from view is app-specific. There is nothing in Unix filesystems (or file/filesystem APIs) which treats/marks them as “hidden.”

Fair enough, I should have said dotfiles instead of hidden files. Still looking for a workable solution however.

@ghos If the file extensions are the same, you can just include it once.

Let me know if you get it working :slight_smile:

Here’s a list of the files in my home directory:

.adobe
.android
.audacity-data
.autoscan-network
.avidemux6
.bash_history
.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
Binaries
.cache
.camel_certs
.ccache
.cgminer
.cinnamon
.color
.composer
.config
.cups
.dbus
Desktop
Documents
dogecoin
.dogecoin
Downloads
.dropbox
.dropbox-dist
.eclipse
.esd_auth
.fontconfig
.gconf
.gimp-2.8
.gksu.lock
.gmvault
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnomerc
.gnupg
.gphoto
.grl-bookmarks
.grl-metadata-store
.grl-podcasts
.gstreamer-0.10
.gtk-bookmarks
.gtk-custom-papers
.history
.hplip
.ICEauthority
.insync-trash
.kchmviewer
.lastpass
.links
.local
.macromedia
.minirc.dfl
.mission-control
.mozilla
Music
.mysql
.mysql_history
Pictures
.pki
Public
.pulse
.pulse-cookie
.puppet
.python_history
.sabnzbd.ini
Scripts
.sickbeard
.Skype
.solar2
.spice-vdagent
.ssh
.steam
.steampath
.steampid
.swt
Templates
.themes
.thumbnails
.thunderbird
.touchegg
.uml
Videos
.vim
.viminfo
.vimrc
.virtinst
.virt-manager
.VirtualBox
VirtualBox VMs
.vnc
.weechat
.wireshark
.Xauthority
.xinitrc
.Xmodmap
.xsession-errors

A vast majority of these files and folders are dot files, and none of them are truly extensions. If I were to use the exclude ability to get rid of those, I would have to do one for each file, and have to make sure to update it regularly if a program on any of my computers decides to make another one of these files or folders.

@ghos Yes but you only have to enter the file extension once.

Just to be clear, you are suggesting adding every single one of these dot files as an exception?

Yup, yup :slight_smile:

Let me know how ti works out.

That’s not going to work for me. I’ll try to figure something else out. Thanks for trying