Insync downloads dead slow

Hi,

I just started using InSync again after I heard about the 1.2.x update (used earlier versions) I let it create a new folder to download everything again from Google Drive. Performance have been not too good. Downloading takes ages. I’m on a 100Mbps connection and DLing on a laptop with a SSD drive. But it only downloaded 124Mb (from 32Gb) in 2 hours. So I’m wondering if this is a known problem and how I can speed it up?
I’m considering going back to Google Drive Sync and helas missing out on the nice features that InSync gives.

Thanks for any help.
Jan

1 Like

I think I’ve found the culprit. Insync needed to sync a tremendous amount of very small files. And in the monitor I see that it only DLs two files at a time. This might have caused the slowness. When DLing larger files, speed goes up. It might be an idea to allow Insync for DLing more files at once.

@janpeeters We are aware of this issue, and we are still working on a fix on how to improve the syncing speed.

Thank you for your patience.

Seems this issue is still not fixed in latest Insync version 1.3.6. I’m syncing roughly 20GB of data and terminal shows a download progress of 2 files at a time when I run “get_sync_progress”. Reporting this issue from Linux mint 17.2. Is there a way to burst download speed faster then 2 files at a time?

Checking in on this. My drive contains 250,000+ small files. Every time I sync these to a new machine, it can take upwards of two weeks with only 2 files being allowed to download at once. Is there anything that can be done to work around this?

I’m on macOS Sierra and it’s also limited to two concurrent downloads. I’m trying to sync north of 50+ pictures (1.5M on average) and it’s taking forever to download.

Same issue here, alot of small files takes forever.

@roald same problem here it took almost 4 days to sync my +150k files of one of my folders. Why would there even be a cap on number of upload/download files? Usually the problem is the other way around and people want a way to limit the greediness of the various sync clients. Is this not fixed yet or is it fixed for everyone except the Linux client? We usually get screwed with priorities of support and feature implementation schedules.

Just for you guys to know AVERAGE Insync download and upload speed for me is like this.

Even with large file chunk the overall trasfer speed is deadly slow to the point unusable. I was told it has something to do with Insync API usage at this post:

Can you configure the number of Simultaneous or Concurrent File Transfers

Can someone in INSYNC say something about this? It’s sad to see all my bandwidth go to waste here with poor upload and download speed.

This probably isn’t due to any rate limit from Insync. My Insync upload speed has consistently been around 1.2-1.4 MB/s for large files, I haven’t measured download speed carefully, but it’s much much faster.

That isn’t to say that Insync has nothing to do with your low download speed. Just that it’s probably not a hard limit they placed, and probably isn’t directly related to what I speculated in that post.