Is it possible to synch directly to an external drive

My main computer has a very small disk drive and I use an external drive as my main storage. I need to have my synced drive on the external drive as there is not enough space internally but can’t find the way to so this. SO is it possible to synch directly to a external usb drive and not use the internal drive on my pc. I am using Ubuntu as my OS.

Yes, @Mark_Roberts it is possible :slight_smile: Simply move your Insync folder to your external drive. Please also note that, once your external drive is disconnected, Insync will show an error or it will paused syncing. If you connect it again, it will resume from where it stops.

Many thanks for this advice. I am running linix Ubuntu (and ai fairly new to linux). It took me a while to get use the account settings to change drives, but I eventually managed it and identifed the new drive. When I tried to apply the change, however, I get a error message “global name ‘os’ is not defined”. I suspect this may be an internal error on my system

If you still receive and error, please send us your logs.db and out.txt file to support@insynchq.com. Please also include details of your issue.

Thank you.

Do I need to move all the files in my existing drive location to the new location first or will there be a new drive folder made and automatically moved?

Once you have selected the new Insync folder location, it will automatically move all the contents automatically.

I have moved my InSync folder to an external drive. However, my account settings doesn’t allow choosing a location outside of the main drive. Can anyone explain the correct procedure?

Hi David,

Are you trying to sync your local folder to Google Drive? If yes, please try this how-to:

Let me know if this helps.

My question is that I have huge files on an external drive. This external drive is not always connected. I want to put files from that drive onto my google drive without creating a copy on my internal hard drive. Every time I click add to insync, it creates a copy in my insync folder (taking up space on my internal drive) and then uploads. I want the rest of my google drive files to sync with my computers internal drive normally (aka not moving my entire drive folder to my external), I only want to upload these files once to the google drive and do not have space to copy then upload them.

Can I upload something from the external hard disk directly to the drive without creating a copy on my computer?

Silly me!! I’m too ingrained with Windows file structure and was looking for a separate drive. I’ve discovered that external drives are listed under ‘media’ in the root folder. Problem solved, I have successfully now linked my external drive to InSync.

Great to hear everything is great. Just send us an email to support if anything I could assist you with.