Migrating from Google Drive app to Insync

Hi,
We are currently using the now defunct Google Drive app (not File Stream) to sync a large number of files (around 950GB) between a Windows 2012 R2 server and Google Drive.

What is the process of migrating to Insync? I asked support but they just linked me to the standard set up instructions. I am concerned that this will result in duplications of data or some similar problem.

Thanks,
Adam

There’s indeed the risk of creating duplicates.

I’ve written a post on my method of re-sync without duplicates:

1 Like

Thanks for your response Hawk. I have followed your instructions and they appear to have worked so far. The only problem is the upload time, it is taking way too long. The itms are at 220,000 and climbing, so I will need to talk to support about it I think.

Even on a server where we had nothing on Google Drive and set it up from scratch, I have calculated it will take 3 months to upload the data!

I just recently tested the re-sync capability of the latest version of Insync. Turns out it’s got much better than when I wrote that post. During initial setup, it can now automatically and correctly decide which folders should be synced, and which ones should not, and there doesn’t seem to be any duplicate issues.

The post I wrote is still relevant for resync that’s not during initial setup. But at least for initial setup, using Insync in a straightforward way appears to be good enough now.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Hawk, much appreciated. I have posted elsewhere in the forum as I am still facing terrible slowness with sync.

That’s a hard problem which has plagued Insync for a long time. I can only with you good luck.

Thanks. If it is a known problem by InSync then they should declare it before people purchase their product.