Missing indicator icon in Ubuntu 16.04 64bit

@lpugoy
I tried to see if the application log some interesting message, so I stopped it, cleaned the out.txt, started again and follow the output

~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync quit
OK
~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync get_status
Insync doesn’t seem to be running. Start it first.

~/.config/Insync$ > out.txt
~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync start
~/.config/Insync$ /usr/lib/insync/insync get_status

~/.config/Insync$ cat out.txt
Fontconfig error: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 80: saw unknown, expected number
/usr/lib/insync/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20’ not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
(insync:3260): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Impossibile connettersi: File o directory non esistente
(insync:3260): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed
(insync:3260): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

As you can see there is some error on the log file, some related to GTK
Hope this can help

@merlos: If you have the package appmenu-qt5 installed, please check if uninstalling it will work as a workaround.

@lpugoy I uninstalled the package as you can see

$ dpkg-query -l appmenu-qt5
rc appmenu-qt5 0.3.0+16.04. amd64 application menu for Qt5
$

Logged out/in and indicator still missing.
Also forced a stop/start from command line without success.

I did the same workaround for Ubuntu 16.04 64bits but no succeed. Did someone find the solution?

@lpugoy did you tested inSync with Ubutnu 16.04 and Unity?
As I said, I did a fresh install so I expect that you can see by yourself the problem and try to fix it

Hi,

In my case had this issue with Ubuntu Mate 16.04, I solved it installing “sni-qt” package as described here (LINUX) How to solve the issue “tray icon is not showing”

Thank you very much for the tip!! :smiley:

Regards!!

@acutbal is your distro 64bit?

I have this package installed and the indicator is missing

ii sni-qt:amd64 0.2.7+15.10. amd64

Yes, it’s ubuntu mate 64 bits, and the package installed is the same that yours.

@merlos: Yes, I tested on a fresh install as well. Could it be similar to this issue: Insync stopped working on Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 LTS? What is the output if you run insync start --no-daemon?

@lpugoy is not the issue you mentioned, as I said 2 or 3 times the indicator won’t apper at all and the CPU on my side is ok

The output from the command line is more or less the same as the above I already posted

MY_HOME_HERE@goblinshark:/usr/lib/insync$ ./insync start --no-daemon
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 80: saw unknown, expected number
/usr/lib/insync/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20’ not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:4060): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,367 [init:info:1610] insync version: 1.3.7.36078
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,369 [init:info:1610] client created <ideskmain.client.Client object at 0x4c08150>
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,370 [init:info:1610] unix socket server thread start
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,371 [init:info:1610] starting client
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,378 [init:info:1610] LinuxFSWatcher._start
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,380 [init:info:1610] Inotify loop enter

(insync:4060): IBUS-WARNING **: Unable to connect to ibus: Impossibile connettersi: File o directory non esistente
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,450 [init:info:1610] Syncing GDUser(id=u’XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’, email=u’MY_EMAIL_HERE@gmail.com’, name=u’MY_NAME_HERE’).
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,732 [init:info:1610] watch origin: /home/MY_HOME_HERE/insync
INFO 2016-05-04 17:41:25,879 [init:info:1610] GDUser(id=u’XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’, email=u’MY_EMAIL_HERE@gmail.com’, name=u’MY_NAME_HERE’) (existing) is now being synced.

(insync:4060): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

(insync:4060): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

So, again, how can I help debugging the issue I reported 10 days ago?
All the standard thing are ok, so you as developer must suggest something different.
Please work on this, is blocking and annoying and I paid for this app

Tks
Giovanni

After some private mail exchange with insync tech team we found the problem. I installed the last debian package (ii insync 1.3.7.36078-wheezy amd64) and this was the problem.
Uninstalling and installing specifig Ubuntu 14.04 restored the indicator icon
This is the right package:

insync_1.3.6.36076-trusty_amd64.deb

Just a quick line which may help others.
Insync worked great in Unity 14.04
Moved up to Xubuntu 16.04 - sporadic sync’ing - no applet.
Tried / tested all possible solutions here with some temporary success. Indicator always disappeared after reboot.
Decided to go back to Ubuntu 14.04 as I need insync, but installation failed for some reason.
Reformatted drive and put Xubuntu 16.04 back on - insync works seemlessly now.
Go figure

running “sudo insync start” worked for me (launched the GUI w/a new .db), but now I have 2 insync process’s running.

Having the same problem, and none of the suggestions worked.

When I run insync quit && insync start --no-daemon, I get:

QSystemTrayIcon::setVisible: No Icon set

@sencer: Apologies for that. Are you using Ubuntu 16.04 also?

Hi Ipugoy, I am on 16.10, actually

@sencer: I see. Please try the steps in this post to confirm if the issue is just limited to Insync: No tray icon in lastest version.

I don’t have pyside installed. But I suppose insync comes with its own pyside.so file right?

Though I followed the link, and did as one of the users suggested:

Purging flatpack from the system solved the issue (since obviously there were no insync icons there).

Worked for me as well. Clearly this is a bug of insync.

Running 16.04-based LinuxMint 18.1. None of the other potential solutions in this thread worked for me… until I got to this one… purging flatpak (and a reboot after) worked for me as well.