Multiple Users on one PC

We have a central shared folder used by all company users. Each user is logged into this account.
We have a central workstation PC that all the users have access to. Insync only runs when when the user(s) who installed it are actively logged in.

When a second user logged in they do not have access to the insync program and cant alter whcih folders are synchronised.
We installed insync on 2 further user accounts. This appeared to work, but today we noticed that we had nested copies of our shared folder, thereby replicating many tens of gigabytes of data, and causing problems with “Synching Metadata”

I tried to re-point the extra accounts to all point to the same target directory on the PC workstation, causing this problem, but the interface reported “Location"C:…” is already used"

How do we set up a Windows 8 machine so it stays synchronised to the shared folder, and all users have access to it.
This machine is often accessed by Remote Desktop. It is important that all folders in use remain synchronised on both the remote terminal and the workstation.

Can Insync be installed as “Administrator” on the machine so it runns with the same settings irrespective of who is logged in?

Hi @AnRuaRi can you kindly send in your logs to support@insynchq.com with the link to this forum post?

Thank you :smile:

@AnRuaRi: Unfortunately, such a configuration is not supported out of the box. Insync is a per user program and needs to be installed for every user & two Insync instances should not point to the same physical folder. Insync doesn’t have the capability to match the existing files & hence one Insync instance would consider the files added by the other Insync instance as new. This leads to duplication as you have experienced. So, the solution is to run only one Insync instance and set its folder on the central shared storage.

Please see this workaround to run Windows program as a service: How to run Insync as a service on Windows Server This way Insync runs without requiring you to actively login. However, running as a service means that you cannot access it via UI - you will have to stop the service and start Insync as a normal program to interact with it.

Thanks

@dipesh, will that work (running Insync as a service) with Windows 10?

I only have one account, but every time my Windows box reboots (mostly to install patches), it logs my account out, so Insync stops running.

I want to Insync to run all the time, whether I’m logged in or not.

Advice?

@Dave_Lindbergh Running Insync as a service should work on Windows 10 as well. However, we do not recommend using Insync as a service. It is more of a workaround.

We recommend that you stop the service and start using it as a normal application after you log on.

Thanks