Swapping out External Hard Drive

I have a 3TB HD and want to swap it with a new 8TB HD. I used chat but got no answer. I find it odd the folks at Insync can’t answer a simple question: How do I replace a smaller (current) HD with a new HD?

Should I copy the current HD contents to the new HD and then let Insync look at that HD as the new Insync/Google Drive location?

Has anyone here in the forums using Insync done this? If so, please let me know your experience.

Thanks!
Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry for not getting back to you, have you tried this how-to? How to move Insync folder to a new location

Thanks but I want to know about copying the current files from the current HD to the new. Before I add the new HD as my Insync Drive/Google Drive location, can I copy all files from the current HD to the new and then sync/connect it as the new Insync/Google Drive HD? Someone earlier said there might be a problem since syncing to the new HD may create duplicate files. Is that true or not?

hi @Zebrajellyfish, we were in contact via email. Did you get my latest message? I was asking how you’ve setup your external drive – does it contain your main Insync folder (all your Drive files)? Or did you sync your external drive via right click > Add to Insync (which means you still have an Insync folder in your local storage)?

tagging our engineers @dipesh @lpugoy @jimperio

I haven’t done anything yet because there’s no definitive answer. I have my current Insync external HD still running. Last night I copied all the files from that HD to a new HD I just purchased. Can I just point Insync to the new HD since it is a copy of the original Insync external HD which is connected to my my Google Drive account?

I’m afraid Insync might detect those files as different files when coming from a different external drive – this would cause file duplication.

Just discussed this with our engineer and he recommends following this: How to move Insync folder to a new location – try this by connecting both your old external drive and your new external drive (but remove the files you copied from your old external drive because Insync will be the one to move the Insync folder to your new drive)

Wonderful! Thanks. I reformatted the new HD and used Insync to move to the new location (the new HD).

1 Like

Hi @gio
I have tried this once already and the process seemed to time out. It kept getting stuck on certain files (not even big ones—80 kB ones).
I rebooted and tried again, and the same thing is happening.
There must be a better way to do this that’s faster than copying from one external drive to another via insync. Is it possible to unlink my google drive account altogether, then simply re-connect it to the new hd?