Sync folder but use the computer foldername properly in GDrive

One of the frustrating things about Insync for me is that when I select the folder to sync it syncs everything in that folder to the root of Google Drive. Either this is the default behavior or I’m doing something wrong…

What I want is to be able to select a folder and have that folder created in Google Drive. If that folder is already a root folder on my hard drive I have to select the entire drive in order to select it to have it created in Google Drive. The big problem is that it the requires a FULL scan of the drive before I can even select folders to sync.

Here’s what I want to do:

Source:
d:\serverfolders\users

Destination
Gdrive:users

NOT
gdrive:<folders/files in users> <— everything in users goes into the root of Gdrive.

In the above example I would be required to select “serverfolders” as the source and then deselect everything else except for “users”. Before I can even do that I have to wait for Insync to scan ALL of ServerFolders, which in my case, has hundreds of thousands of files if not more.

Another thought would be to allow for targeting a folder in gdrive for the sync. Put another way why are we forced to select the root of Google Drive for syncs?

If I’m missing something please let me know. Need to resolve this before buying. Thanks!

hi @santiagodraco,

I believe what you have confused is the purpose of the Insync folder. During setup you will have to choose a default Insync folder in your hard drive which will serve as the main local syncing folder that mirrors your Google Drive (My Drive). So your existing Google Drive folders will sync/download to this local Insync folder and any files added to this Insync folder will sync/upload to your Google Drive.

Here’s how to change the Insync folder location (you won’t need to change this often): How to move Insync folder to a new location

After setting up an Insync folder, there are two ways to sync files:

1. Add files/folders to the Insync folder
  2. Follow the “Add to Insync” method via the (right click) context menu: How to sync folders outside of the Insync folder

No. 2 should address your need – just right click on the users folder, select Add to Insync then a users folder will be created in the root of your Google Drive (a symlink to users will also be created in your local Insync folder but this doesn’t take up any space). The users folder will be synced so any changes (edits, added files, deletions) locally or on Google Drive will keep in sync :slight_smile:

Hope this clears things up!