Sync seems to create duplicate folders in G Drive

I have a copy of both folders on my local hard drive as well as Google Drive however, when I sync them, insync keeps creating new copies of the same folders in G drive. This did not happen when I was using the G Drive sync tool from Google. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

I am having the same issue so i end up with

dir a - original verion
dir a(2) - new downloaded version
dir b
dir b(2

etc

Kris and Ian: These files you are referring is available locally, prior using Insync? Under what folder are these files located specifically?

Insync will sync all files from your Google Drive to your local computer, unless you use the selective sync to unselect these files to not to sync locally.

If these files are in your /documents folder, you may delete those files, since the copy that is found inside the Insync folder is the one is synced to your Google Drive (cloud).

Thank you.

i have a a google drive folder sitting on an external hdd that i back up to. I then sync this folder to google cloud, so i have a local backup of my files and an online backup. I then point insync to the google drive folder and the 1st step it takes is to just download eveything from the cloud back to local, it doesn’t look locally to see what is already there

@Ian_Bates: How did you point Insync to the folder being used by the official Google Drive sync tool? Insync still lacks the ability to match the existing files, that’s why it only accepts an empty folder during the set up. This issue will be addressed in the 1.4 version.

Insync and the official Google Drive sync app should have separate Google Drive syncing folders. If both are being used on a same folder, both will create duplicates.

Inconvenience is regretted

Thanks

ah no problems, i will wait for 1.4

ta

Hi,

I have the same problem.
i made backup via Google client, and when start using sync, it start to create duplicates on my local hdd.

i’m making lokalc sync with local storage on my laptop and then whant to sync this folder with google drive.
will it works that way?

localnet stoarage <=> sync both wais via FreeFileSync to my hdd <=> sync this folder via insync to GD?

all sync hase to work both wais, for instance if i change something online, i have to see this on local storage…

thx for help, best regards, Bartosz

@bartassw Did you not choose an empty location while setting up Insync? As mentioned before, putting existing drive files in the Insync folder before Insync downloads those files would lead to duplicates as the file compare feature for seed files is not there yet.

Also, make sure that you do not run Google client and Insync on the same folder, this will cause conflicts and duplicates too.

Thanks

Hi, I using the 1.11 version and this happens too. In my drive I have a folder like “build”, in a PC (my backup), Insync duplilcate, creating “build” and “build (4)”.

Hi,
Similar issue for me. InsyncHQ creates duplicates folder everywhere xyz and xyz (2) or even xyz (2) 4.26.29.PM.
When will that be fixed ? This creates a terrible mess, I am never sure where is the correct /latest version of a file. I am really close from uninstalling Insynchq and move on to a competitor.

@Victor_Milani: Is one of the two folders empty or contains empty subfolders?

@Marc_Rapoport: Did you not choose an empty location while setting up Insync? Did you put existing Google Drive files to the Insync folder?

Also, make sure that you do not run Google client and Insync on the same folder, this will cause conflicts and duplicates too.

Thanks

Hi,

Yesterday I installed your Insync 1.3 over Google Drive folder and I have duplicate tons of folders!!!
I have around 1.000 folders shared with 8 collegues and It has been a nightmare.

How could I resolve the issue?

I have new folders duplicated but in Google Drive website there are around 300 folders!!!
In website the name is the same, but my collegues have the same name plus (1) at the end of the folder name.

What folder is the right one, because we have seen that in some folders contents are even different.

Please, let me know how to solve it!!

Thanks.

Hello @jjrio,

Did you run Google Drive sync app after installing Insync on the same Google Drive folder? If so, please note that this is not supported and is known to cause duplicates and conflicts. You should uninstall Google Drive app or set it up at some other folder in case you want to continue using it as well. After that, please manually remove the duplicate folders cautiously on Google Drive web by sorting them by Date - the newer ones are likely to be the newly created duplicates.

Thanks

Hi!
Sorry, I didn’t understand well and want to clarify…
I have both Google Drive and insync instaled in my pc. May that be the reason why I find so many duplicated files?
(some up to 12 times)

also sorry for my broken english…

Thanks in advance!