Update 2: free Prime promo and upgrade paths

@Psychic99 echos my concerns exactly here.

I don’t see how moving back to a one time fee model with unlimited upgrades is sustainable at all. This really makes me question your future plans and if this is an ‘innocent’ move it strikes me as a naive one at best.

I’d urge you to think about this whole thing again with a clear head and blank slate because all you’re doing is setting yourself up for financial collapse.

You also need to make it a lot clearer that you still indend Plus users to upgrade as that’s buried in the ‘PS’ section at the bottom of your post.

This entire affair has turned into a debacle.

Given that I get intermittent data weirdness with all prior (and the current) versions of InSync, the impression I’m getting is that both the software and the PR aren’t strategic or reliable enough for my needs.

I don’t have time for this sort of back and forth, changing business models, cryptic communications, and so forth. I paid for the product and it was supposed to be a one-time buy. If you expect me to pay again for the accounts I’ve been using for two years, I’ll just find another way.

I’m out unless you wake up and just grandfather your user base and spare us the tedium.

1 Like

I have lost more than 1 hour of my life to try to understand this, cmon… Just do it, put everyone in Prime, and announce the new plan for non-costumers.

Going back to “odrive” for now, I don’t have time for this =(

I’m somewhat amazed no one referred to the “spoiler” in the original mail yet (if someone did, sorry, I missed it).

Spoiler: we’re gifting free Insync accounts to gmail users (ends in a week). Don’t forget to share the gift with your friends :slight_smile:

There’s one clear message in that sentence: you’re giving away free accounts to new users. There are three aspects that verify this:

1. On May 16 of the same year you ran a similar promo, giving Insync Plus free for @gmail.com or @googlemail.com accounts during 72 hours.
  2. “gifting free Insync accounts to gmail users”, that’s pretty self explanatory, you’re doing the same thing as before, giving free accounts to any Gmail user.
  3. You’re telling us to share the gift. How could we share a gift, only meant for existing customers, with friends that may not even have an Insync account?

I personally purchased Insync Plus on May 8, exactly 8 days before you gave it away for free. I don’t mind, I’m glad I supported this amazing piece of software that eliminates all frustrations with Gdrive. But now I do feel a bit duped to be honest.

I don’t see how moving to Prime can be considered a “free upgrade”, it’s basically a name change at best. There is nothing wrong with more complicated pricing plans, as long as it’s explained simply. On the contrary, it’s more fair to consider different types of users. You’ve eliminated this fair pricing by generalizing three kinds of users.

One thing is very clear here, your goal to simplify has failed – at least for existing customers – so it’s time for a different approach. This calls for a teambuilding day! Gather the team and go out, clear your minds. May I suggest an escape room? I’m sure you’ll find one nearby, it’s a fun activity and has a very positive effect on creativity.

Good luck!

Same here… my insync plus account is linked to a google apps account, does that mean I have to pay again to keep receiving updates?
That sucks…

hi guys. @terpua has posted a FAQ about Prime and upgrading here: FAQ on Prime plan

Was the free upgrade promo now already? It’s end of January, I didn’t get any email so far…

hi @mkdr, we haven’t sent anything yet as we’re still working on the upgrade page. We’ll send an email as soon as it’s up, and I’ll post an update here on the forums as well

I paid for 3 plus accounts, lifetime. And probably after insync go to version 3, the version 1 will not have any updates, it will be lost in the past. So insync company don’t care abouts it’s first customers. I followed insync since the donation to a ios app that never released . So I prefer to buy my own home server.

Check out Daplie: The Cloud System to Take Back the Internet on #indiegogo!

1 Like

I just got the Email saying: “You are currently on the Plus license (which includes free upgrades for version 1.x only) and as a Gmail user, we are giving you Prime for free! … You have automatically been upgraded from Plus to Prime, which means you get access to future Insync versions for free.”
Therefore for me everything works out fine. That should also be the case for you.

I tried to convert my accounts from Pro to Prime, but after checkout at the upgrade page, the whole process ends up with querying https://www.insynchq.com/upgrade/charge , which results in a 500 error. My accounts still stay on Pro, and it (fortunately) seems that my card balance hasn’t been touched. I chose the Stripe payment method. Also, the select for country/currency doesn’t change anything, it always bills in $.

So clarify…
(in the FAQ) [quote=“terpua, post:1, topic:8280”]
Pro vs Prime
yearly vs one-time pricing
3 vs 5 business days support
transferable (all time) vs non-transferable licenses
both offer free major version upgrades
[/quote]

And now you said [quote=“terpua, post:21, topic:8280”]
In any event, we need to run a sustainable business and if we give every major version away based on our one-time pricing model, we wouldn’t be able to survive, much less iterate on new updates or upgrades.
[/quote]

So if I buy Prime now, and you release version 2 Do I need to pay for version 2 even if I have Prime?
I have pro with gmail accounts

@A_Seda If you’re on Pro (annual subscription), you actually already have access to all major future version on Insync (1.x to 2.x and beyond).

You have the choice of upgrading to Prime (one-time upgrade price per account) from Pro (annual subscription) – it’s up to you. But both Pro and Prime will give you access to Insync 2.0 and future versions :slight_smile:

Hi! If the problem persists, please send a report to support@insynchq.com and someone will be on it :slight_smile:

Well, solved. It was the internet payments limit on my card, which was set to $40, but I wanted to pay $42. However, the upgrade page did not provide any user-visible feedback about the transaction being rejected, instead, it changed everything to green checkmarks…

@beatobongco can we raise actionable errors?

Just for information: Apparently everyone who was eligible to Prime has been upgraded for free now, at least I got an email about it.

Really? How do you get free upgrade from Plus TO PRIME?

How do I know if I am eligible for the upgrade? I am on Plus now.

My gmail account was automatically upgraded. To upgrade my other accounts I went to this link:
https://www.insynchq.com/upgrade

It didn’t work at first because I was logged in as my gmail account (doh!!) so, after asking for help on the excellent messaging service, I opened an incognito window, logged in as the account I wanted to upgrade and all went smoothly.

Happy to keep supporting an excellent product - $20.99 every few years for something which is truly useful is worth every cent.