Cannot change location in Linux Mint Ulyana

Hello again! For those still affected by this, could you run sudo apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 and try to run Insync and change the Base Folder again?

Let me know how it goes!

Actually, I have this one installed already. It changes nothing.

It might be helpful, the version of this lib is 2.40.0+dfsg-3.

Let me show my thoughts. Based on the fact that the Insync didn’t update but suddenly crashed. There should be a third-party lib updated during 7/16-7/18. Not sure which one, but shouldn’t be this one anyway.

Like Sraw, the libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 was already installed in my Mint 20, so that isn’t the issue.

All was uptodate, nothing was installed by this command. Problem persists. I’ll mail mu log files.

1 Like

Thank you all for the update.

@fox Noted on your case as well and will report this based on the files you sent via email.

Try changing your icons to the “Adwaita” theme and see if it works.

2 Likes

Surprisingly, changing the icon theme to Adwaita does solve the problem. Good sleuthing, herloncamargo! The theme Arc-Icons also works. What I was using (Flat icon remix blue) does not; nor does Mint Y. I’ll try a few other icon themes later and report back.

This still needs some looking into; the icon theme really shouldn’t affect the ability to change the default Google Drive folder, especially if it’s an official theme like Mint Y.

1 Like

@fox, with Mint just installed, Insync also works with the Mint-Y theme. You can verify this by running Mint through a USB stick and installing Insync. The bug appears after installing something that I haven’t been able to identify yet.

I verified that it is not solved by clearing cache and configuration files. And if you create a new user, the bug will appear for him too.

1 Like

Changed my icon theme to Adwaita and it worked. I had the Papirus theme previously.

Thanks @herloncamargo!

1 Like

I can confirm with the latest version, it now works.

1 Like

I have now tried with a bunch of themes. The following work: Adwata, Arc-Icons, gnome, hicolor, HighContrast, Mint-X, suru, ubuntu-mobile. The following do not: Compass, Deepin, ePapirus, Flat-Remix, Papirus, Pop, Qogir, suru-plus-20.2.0. I can now tell in advance which themes will allow Insync to change the default location or not in Mint 20. All I have to do is look at the Themes icon in the menubar. If it is the jacket and tie, it will work. If the icon is anything else, it won’t. What I don’t know is what is the common element underlying the themes that work. Could it be a particular version of gtk, for example?

1 Like

@fox, I believe it is an updated version of Gtk that is causing this bug. I did the following test: I installed Mint 20 and then, without updating the system, Insync worked. As soon as I did the first system update, logout and login, Insync presented the problem again. In both situations, I did not install any application that did not come by default.

@herloncamargo, makes sense only if certain themes are utilizing an updated Gtk and others not. Otherwise, why would all of the themes I noted above still work after applying updates? At any rate, I think we have given the Insync team more than enough information to work with for issuing a fix.

@fox, exactly that, it only works with themes that use older Gtk.

I noticed that you can change the style back immediatelly after syncing to the proper base forlder has started. Let’s see if this works after a restart.

Same problem here (Ubuntu 20.04)

Updating to the latest(3.2.2) version should solve this problem. At least confirmed on my machine.

1 Like

The update worked for me as well on Mint 20.

Same issue on XuBuntu 20.04 with 3.1.40839
Uninstalled it and installed from 3.2.2 from here and it works.

1 Like

Here is where I found it: https://forums.insynchq.com/c/releases/15.

1 Like