Copies of files keep appearing on insync home folder

Hi,

Since a while back, from time to time, copies of a bunch of my files and folders suddenly appear in my insync “home folder”.

A few days ago I cleaned up the insync “home folder” and left just 14 folders and 4 files. Today I have 254 extra files there, coming from multiple and unrelated folders.

Just in case it is useful, in the initial insync configuration I selected /home/username/myemail@gmail.com as my insync “home folder”.

Cheers,

Hi! Thank you for reporting this to us. Are the 254 extra files new? Were they edited/added by someone else? Are the files in your My Drive, Shared With Me, or Shared Drives?

Hi Mara,

Almost all of them seem to be copies from other folders I already have on My Drive on google drive.

The files appeared on the base folder of My Drive, but all of them were originally located in some subfolder of the My Drive.

Some of the files were shared but unshared a while ago (e.g. in 2018), and most of them are on shared folder and actively used.

Let me know if you need more information.

Hi @Gorka_Navarrete,

Stepping in for Mara today - could you please send us your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

Also, to confirm - are these duplicates with a numerical suffix, or are they old files that just randomly popped back into your home folder?

Lastly, for some that are on a shared folder and are actively used, did you by chance create a shortcut of those files/folders from Shared with me to My Drive?

I also have the same issue, now there are some folders like “Folder (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2) (2)” etc. appearing in my synced folder

Hi @Harry_Chan,

Could you please send us your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com (if you haven’t) with the link to this post? May we also know if you could recall what steps you were doing prior to the duplication?

Sorry for my late reply. As I have found from other threads, I think I have an idea why this is happening:

The directories that have been duplicated are usually the ones with Google Docs or something similar inside. Currently, I am having a dual boot system (Win10 & Ubuntu) on my machine and in order to save space, I am sharing the same Google Drive directory for both systems. I think this might be the reason why folders and files keep being duplicated, with most being Google Docs or similar files. I refer to the following thread: .gddoc files have appeared in my drive

1 Like

Hi @Harry_Chan,

I see. Thank you for letting me know you’re on a dual boot setup that shares the same Google Drive directory. Because we don’t have a direct/official support for multi-boot systems, this type of setup can sometimes affect the file integrity (ie duplications/deletions). The good news is that this is a feature we’re developing since users have voiced out their need for this support. No ETA yet, but we’ll announce once we get there :slight_smile:

Given this lead, would you like for us to check if there is a workaround? If so, you may send over your log files per my previous reply :slight_smile: