Disable Desktop.ini

Feature request that is probably specific to Windows: can we have an option to disable creation of desktop.ini files? I understand their purpose, but when I’m syncing code, it causes errors in my IDE, and I have to add specific GIT ignore rules, or mass-delete them after a sync. Just a minor irritant, but would be simple to add an option to disable.

I’ve encountered a similar problem with the desktop.ini cluttering my cloud storage.

I found this article from several years back, not sure if it applies to your windows verision or if it even works anymore, but feel free to take a look.

1 Like

Awesome, I didn’t even consider an OS approach. I’ll give it a try and report back with success or failure. Regardless, thanks for the link!

So this didn’t work for me on Windows 10 Pro (even after rebooting), but I’m going to search out other approaches like this. I think it’s got merit.

tagging our engineer @dipesh for input :slight_smile:

Okay, I hate to keep nagging, but this is becoming a constant hassle. Can we just have a simple on/off toggle in the settings for creating the Desktop.ini files on Windows?

Agreed. This is a ridiculous duplication. A general file/extension filter would be an awesome implementation of this.