Duplicates (again) [dual boot setup]

Running Insync on a dual boot machine, with a common location for the Google Drive, but this isn’t the only way to trigger it.

I had a fully synced Windows environment. I rebooted into Linux and Insync proceeded to delete various folders and files without obvious logic (some folders/files had not been touched in a while, others were recently used). I restored the deleted folders/files from trash and also noticed some had been deleted, but replaced with duplicates (e.g. myfile.blend had been deleted, but a new file called myfile (2).blend) was in the folder instead.

Once I had this mess cleaned up, I rebooted back to Windows. In Windows, Insync promptly started deleting other files and folders. Restoring a deleted file (myfile.txt) would sometimes give me a copy instead (e.g. myfile (2).txt)

These duplicates and orphaned copies are really annoying. Are these issues near the top of your to-do list? Robustness over features would be welcome.

Hey @philstopford!

Apologies for the mess! This definitely needs to be given attention since it’s not working as expected and heavily affecting file integrity.

Could you send the logs from both OSes to support@insynchq.com? Please include the ff:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

We’ll need to check what triggers the deletion and duplication in a dual boot setup using Insync.

Also, to confirm: are you using the native Google Drive client for either OS?

Using Insync on both. I’ll have to dig up the logs.

I’ve been having these kinds of issues constantly, see for example this and this, and have not received much feedback from the insync people, despite sending the logs multiple times.

Lately, I realized insync do not re-activate (sync) after waking up from suspend, causing some issues. Imagine you work on folder X in your main computer while the laptop is suspended. You close the main computer and wake up the laptop. You see insync has the green tick, so you think all must be in sync. Then, you make some changes on folder X in the laptop, not realizing those are old versions. At that point, insync “wakes up” and realizes there are multiple versions of those files… creating the dreadful “(2)” copies.

Not sure if this is the culprit, but I’ve been avoiding suspending any of my two computers for a while, and always pausing and re-activating insync after waking up my laptop, and had no issues with duplicates since then. Hopefully the insync folks can check if this makes sense and release a fix…

Sent the logs in, no reply up to now.

Hey! I have responded to your email where you sent the log files. Thank you @philstopford!

1 Like

Hey @Gorka_Navarrete!

Thank you for adding your thoughts and feedback here, and we apologize for the trouble. I am sending this issue to our engineers again, as it seems like an internal testing (multi-machine setup) led to a similar error.

To follow up @Gorka_Navarrete: Could you remind me if your setup is on dual-boot or are they on two separate machines? Per checking our previous email exchanges, it seems like it’s the latter so I wanted to confirm first.

Thank you!

Hi @mia. I have two separate machines. Hopefully you can crack this. Cheers.

1 Like

Thank you @Gorka_Navarrete! I will keep you guys looped in based on our findings.

I faced the same issue that @philstopford passed. Luckily the problem was early identified by me and did not spoiled my job. Just created some duplicated files.
This is an annoying problem that cannot exist in a PAID software(I’ve updated my license to use the dual-boot features two days ago). I’m very disappointed.
My setup is a dual-boot system(Windows and Ubuntu) pointing to the same sync folder.

Hi @Pedro_Azevedo. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your sentiments about the duplicates that happened on a dual boot setup.

Could you please send the following to support@insynchq.com:

• logs from the Windows boot (should be in %AppData%\Insync)
  • logs from the Linux boot (should be in ~/.config/Insync)

Please include the ff files:

• logs.db
  • out.txt
  • data folder
  • live folder

@mia the requested files are in the following folder:

[link retracted for security]

@Pedro_Azevedo1 Thank you! It looks like the logs are from the Linux boot only. Could you also attach the Windows logs in the folder you shared with me?

Just wondering if there is any progress here. I’m still fighting random deletions/fails to sync/duplicates on a daily basis, across Windows/Linux on multiple machines. It’s really consuming a lot of energy that I’d prefer to use on something more productive.

Hello @philstopford!

I will request our engineers for an update on their investigation. Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the persistent deletions and duplications on your machines. :frowning:

Any update?

(text to satisfy minimum length)

@philstopford Hi! Thank you for reminding me on this and apologies for not getting back to you sooner on this.

We have fixes lined-up this cycle and we are hopeful that this project would address reliability issues, including duplications and deletions on a dual-boot setup.