Extension added to files based on its MIME type

Continuing the discussion from New Insync version: 3.3.2 and from Insync automatically appending .txt to extensionless files:

Insync is adding the extension to a file based on its MIME type.

Example:
.git/sourcetreeconfig => .git/sourcetreeconfig.xml

Screenshots:
image => image

Hi! Please send your logs to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post. https://help.insynchq.com/en/articles/1834816-locating-the-log-files

Done! I’ve sent the debug logs as requested.

1 Like

For future reference,

it’s an expected behavior. That’s what happens when the file is downloaded directly via Drive Web also.

This is not acceptable for me.
That being said, thank you for your time, fast answer, and nice product. It’s a pity Google Drive behaves wrongly.

EDIT: I was pondering to use OneDrive, but is insane for other reasons. Oh well, Dropbox Family it is.

Additionally, when using Google Takeout, the “.xml” suffix isn’t added.

This is also the behaviour for Insync 1.5.x: xmlContentsFile gets downloaded by Insync 1.5.x as xmlContentsFile (without extension).

Thank you @pedro for sharing these to the community. I am clarifying about the change of behavior from 1.5 to 3.x to share more insight on this thread as well.

I am clarifying about the change of behavior from 1.5 to 3.x to share more insight on this thread as well.

@mia any news on this?

Hi @pedro,

Many thanks for the follow up and apologies for not updating sooner.

As per our engineers, there was an issue before (even in 1.5.x) where PDF files did not have the “.pdf” extension added which resulted in issues opening the file locally. What we did to address issues like that was to append extensions to the files that didn’t have it based on their MIME types.

Let me know if you have any other questions :slight_smile:

That makes no sense to me. If you use Google Drive on Linux you’re gonna have lots of files without extension, specially config files, like xyz/.git/sourcetree.
I’d like to put in the request of there being a way of disabling it, but in the meanwhile I’ve migrated to Dropbox.

If there are any news on this, feel free to ping me.

Thank you for your time!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your feedback, @pedro. :slight_smile:

1 Like