Feedback wanted: Ignore List improvements

Pretty much on target! The only thing is I would make the folder (path) designate optional. This way there could still be an ignore globally based on name and/or extension.

We use subversion with a local repository. I do check out projects but I have created subversion ignores for the aforementioned file types because I don’t version these intermediate files. ( I believe this is @Alex_P referenced as “.gitignore” but this would not work for subversion.

I’m not familiar with GIT because we use subversion (SVN). Try not to make it specific to one resource manager.

Not necessarily Github, Github is just one of many hostings for Git repositories, and also besides Git there are other Version Control Systems (Hg, SVN, …), though I guess Git is the most popular.

I use Insync because

• It uploads files on every change, while in Git (and other VCS) you have to manually create a commit and (optionally) push it to the remote repository. So even though it’s a good practice to commit often, it still usually happens not too often, such as every few hours (unless the task is very small and simple), and sometimes it’s good to have more fresh backup.
  • In some cases it’s useful to sync/restore files that are not kept in Git repository for some reason, such as local/user settings, input/output files.
  • I have several projects that are not synced with any remote hosting even though they use Git locally.

And that’s of course besides other Insync/GDrive features, such as sharing files (documents, videos, zip archives). By the way please add ability to copy direct links :slight_smile: (Direct links sharing), it’s a very simple feature that would save some time on replacing the link manually or via external tools.

• I might work on a commit locally for several days before pushing it to a remote server (e.g. GitHub).
  • Ignore List != .gitignore. Some files are not added to git but should be added to GDrive.

re: direct link sharing – does this work for you?

Looks like it’s the same options as before, by direct I mean links like https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=<ID> which will just download the file without opening Google Drive page. To create such link you can just copy ID from normal link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/<ID>/view?usp=drivesdk) created by Insync.

1 What job are you performing that requires the Ignore List?
As many users, I am a developper. I use ignore list for generated build files, node_modules, and so on. I use it to exclude device specific configuration, as well as autogenerated system files (.ds_store on osx)

2 What were you using as a solution before Insync
I bought insync for this feature

3 + 4 What jobs could the Ignore List be solving but currently isn’t? / What difficulties are you having with the current ignore list that prevents you from doing the job or the work that you’re trying to do?

• Per folder configuration, as .gitignore = graal. Allow some pattern to be excluded for projects and not for others, flexible, declarative.
  • Dont have to replicate the ignore list on all devices
  • Retroactive changes of the ignore list.

5 How does the ignore list improve your daily work flow?
No syncing solution can keep up with hundreds of small changes in <0.5sec

6 To answer the Git/Insync comparison: I use both. Insync is a way to backup and resume my work on my desktop, laptop, exactly where I left. Git is a versioning system where I push features when I think they are ready.

1 Like

I read some of the answers and to me what I would like is a way to add a more granular control to my ignore list. I wouldn’t like to use a .gitignore file because sometimes I need to backup some stuff that I would not push to remote repository. Maybe a “.insyncignore” on the folder?

1. I’m a student/ developer. I do research and develop software in several different computer languages (ruby, python, c++, java…).
  2. I was using remote repositories (gitlab, bitbucket, github) + google drive (letting it backup everything.) In the end of the project I manually delete everything not needed and let it sync the deletion… (not very clever… I know… It’s the lazy way)
  3. Not sync useless files (sometimes this number is huge… Specially when you are dealing with web design… thousands of small files…)
  4. I work in several different projects. They have different ignore lists. Some files may be important for project but not for another.
  5. I would probably have a database of ignore lists related to the computer language of that particular project that I would use as soon as I create the folder (like I have for git). I wouldn’t have to manually clean everything.

hello all! ignore rules has been updated in insync 3 beta – https://www.insynchq.com/3

we have incorporated most of the feedback here and would love your take on it.

thanks!

honestly, more useful than the ignore list (at least to me), would be the same pattern matching functionality, but in an “only download matches” context instead of “don’t download matches”.