File Matching is here! (New Insync version: 1.3.0)

We’re glad to give you a preview of the long awaited file matching feature. We’d love your feedback.

Release notes:

• Introduced file matching feature. Insync will now try to match your local (in your filesystem) and remote (in Google Drive) files to avoid duplicates and unnecessary uploads and downloads.
  • Added one-click onboarding for Google Drive app users. This simplifies migration from using the Google Drive app to Insync.
  • Changed to use the default browser for logging in (instead of Insync’s internal browser).
  • Fixed an issue when saving selective sync settings.
  • (Linux) Fixed scaling issue for High-DPI displays.

Windows
Mac
Ubuntu 13.10 and older: 64 bit, <a href="http://s.insynchq.com/builds/insync_1.3.0.36036-precise_i386.deb"32 bit headless: 64 bit, 32 bit
Ubuntu 14.04 and newer: 64 bit, <a href="http://s.insynchq.com/builds/insync_1.3.0.36036-trusty_i386.deb"32 bit
Debian: 64 bit, 32 bit headless: 64 bit, 32 bit
Fedora 20 and older: 64 bit, 32 bit headless: 64 bit, 32 bit
Fedora 21 and newer: 64 bit, 32 bit
Portable: 64 bit, 32 bit

Please help us test.

Thanks!

I just downloaded it as I have reinstalled Win 10 and the old version won’t recognise the old Insync folder - so I was delighted to find v1.3.0, until I ran it.

The first run, I selected just one folder, and after taking a very long time “scanning for changes” it eventually started apparently uploading all my local Insync folder files to GDrive…!

I uninstalled and reinstalled, and this time deselected all folders assuming it would find nothing to sync, however it is now busy apparently ‘uploading’ everything.

The Program window reports that it is uploading, however, it can’t be because my traffic meter doesn’t show any outbound traffic.

I’m guessing that Insync is comparing file by file and updating what is missing from Drive (based on GDrive’s activity window).

If that is the case, rather than saying uploading, it would be more accurate to say comparing, and only up or downloading when that is actually the case.

And finally, 1.3.0 is also happily ignoring all my exclusion filters!!

1 Like

Awesome!! Does one-click onboarding do anything besides selecting which folder to sync? I will probably format the system drive and use file matching to re-sync my 500 GB of Drive data, but I could make an Insync migration first.

@jimperio please assist. Thank you.

It also respects whatever top folder selective sync you have set. You also have the option to select an entirely different existing or new folder to onboard.

Maybe I did something wrong - not sure how, though, since the new onboarding from the existing client is so easy! After I added my Google Drive account and migrated from my existing Google Drive install, I selected files that were shared with me but not syncing per Insync and now it’s uploading over 8k files! That doesn’t quite make sense though since the files are already on my physical drive, as well as in my Drive online. Why would it upload something that’s already there? Please help. I truly hope it isn’t creating a ton of duplicates within my shared folders. Thanks.

Ok, I’ve just paused the sync because I’m not confident it’s working correct. I’m looking at the activity in my Drive online and I see repeated notices of “You created and shared an item in …”. Does that mean people are receiving a slew of email notifications from me? How is the file matching supposed to work? Please assist. Thanks.

1 Like

Im sorry, but after reading the comments about the new version I am hesitant to try it again. I’m worried something will go wrong and I might loose all my files…

1 Like

bump

Hi there, any help please?

@SAtkinson Please send us your logs.db and out.txt file to support@insynchq.com. Our engineer will investigate what went wrong during your process.

Please include the link of this post.

Thank you.

@SAtkinson It shouldn’t be creating any duplicates. But we will have to look at your case in more detail to see what could have went wrong. As @roald mentioned, kindly send an email to support@insynchq.com describing your issue and we will help you resolve it ASAP.

Hi
Tried the new version and seemed to sync without uploading all documents. Agreed it shouldn’t say “uploading” during this process which takes a while.
Also found there were errors when trying to sync files from the mac with " ’ " characters in the file name, even though the file already existing in google drive and on another PC running an earlier version of insync.

Holy cow ! It synced well for a moment, but since I have crash issues, each time I rebooted the OS, it duplicated the files ! It took time for me to realize it. I have now up to five same folders.

You call this file matching ??!!

1 Like

@Rezgi My apologies :frowning: Please send us your logs.db and out.txt file to support@insynchq.com and our engineer will investigate and get back to you the soonest possible.

Thank you for your patience.

I installed 1.3 on my mac (running El Capitan) and added a alias folder to sync to my google drive with my external drive and it deleted most of the files in the folder on the external drive after uploading them to google drive. I was under the impression this update was going to sync the folder on my external drive not upload and delete. The files that were not deleted I have no idea why they were preserved and not deleted like the rest.

@CAmeron That sounds like a bug – the files shouldn’t have been deleted unless they were removed from Google Drive after having been uploaded. Could you please send in your logs to support@insynchq.com, along with a description of the issue?

I was very happy to see the new version however I also have some troubles with it.
I tried to test the file matching feature like this:

• I closed InSync on my Win Computer.
  • Went in my Web Browser to my google drive.
  • Moved a folder to one of my folder that get synced with InSync.
  • Downloaded this folder manually over the Browser and saved it to the same folder on my Computer.
  • Then I started InSync again and let it analyses the file difference.
  • It started right at the beginning with around 27000 files (that’s about the right amount of files). However after a night of work it is still at the same number. The file number sometimes decreased down to 268xx files then re-climbed to 270xx files. But never got under 268xx files… It seems like its doing nothing…

Have I done something wrong or what might the problem be?

Andy

@Andreas We have to investigate your issue. Please send us your logs.db and out.txt file to support@insynchq.com.

Please include the link of this post. Our engineer will get back to you soon.

Thank you for your patience and support.

@roald thx, sent the files hope you get them they are quite big :smiley: