Icon shows in systray, but no menu/app

I have read a number of posts here about people not seeing an icon in their systray, but this does not seem to be the same issue. I am able to start Insync, and can control it from the command line using insync-headless. The icon appears in my systray, and even changes appearances when syncing has finished (blue arrows changed to a blue person icon, although i don’t know what that actually means).

The problem is that clicking on the icon in my systray has no effect. No menu appears, no app window opens, nothing. It does appear that something is getting the mouse focus though, because if i subsequently click on my desktop, the cursor just blinks instead of the usual menu appearing. It appears that the clicking on the systray icon may be opening something off-screen, putting the mouse focus there. Then clicking on the desktop returns focus back to that. A second click on the desktop then opens my usual applications list that a first click would normally have done.

To check if perhaps there was some broken window positioning logic going on, i moved my systray from the top right corner to the bottom right, and then even to the dead centre of my screen. Each time, the same happened: no windows/menus appeared, but the mouse focus seemed to be temporarily “elsewhere”.

Am i mistaken in thinking that clicking on the icon is supposed to bring up some kind of interface to configure Insync’s behaviour? If not, how else should i select which directories to sync, etc.?

Version information, in case it helps:
insync 1.3.8.36087-trusty amd64
Linux 4.4.0-22-generic #39-Ubuntu
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Enlightenment Version: 0.21.0-beta

Will be tagging our engineer @lpugoy and he will get back to you.

@iestynapmwg: How did you install enlightenment version 0.21.0-beta in Ubuntu 16.04? What is the output of apt-cache policy enlightenment?

The usual method:
Get packages from https://www.enlightenment.org/download
./configure
make
make install

I’ve never used apt-cache before, and its output is less than helpful:

apt-cache policy enlightenment
enlightenment:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:

@iestynapmwg: I installed e20 from https://launchpad.net/~enlightenment-git/+archive/ubuntu/ppa, which only contains Enlightenment version 0.20.99.0, but I was able to reproduce your issue. From here (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/enlightenment#Enabling_the_system_tray) it looks like support for legacy tray applets has been disabled in Enlightenment 20. The package stalonetray given in that page worked for me, I unloaded the systray module beforehand.

From the link you cited:

“We dropped Xembed support from e20. Join the effort, ask devs to fix their apps!”

This happened quite some time ago (e21 is the most recent version, the date on that tweet is from 2014). Is there any chance that Insync will catch up and fix the app so that it doesn’t rely on an outdated/deprecated technology? Installing a separate systray application just for this is unreasonable.

@iestynapmwg: We’re working on this for a future version of Insync, but no ETA yet.

Any update on this? It’s been almost a year… I’d really like to be able to use that icon hovering uselessly in my systray :slight_smile:

@iestynapmwg: Sorry, no updates yet.