Insync 1.4 is now live! Download it here.
Meet the modern file manager, sort of…
Insync 1.4 introduces our vision to reinvent Windows Explorer + Finder for the modern user.
If you took a screenshot of Windows Explorer or Finder 25 years ago, they would look pretty much what you see today. But the amount and diversity of our data continues to grow spread over gopros, sd cards, external drives, cloud accounts, etc.
The file manager is the gateway to your data and it hasn’t innovated.
We are excited to show you what we have been working on this past year. We are in the early innings so while it’s not going to replace your default file manager yet (1.4 doesn’t have full screen support for example), we have a bunch of new features that will enhance the Google Drive experience on the desktop.
This is just the beginning…
Say hello to syncing with superpowers!
The new Files view (below) allows you to browse your items offline with double clicks, built-in context menu (right-click) functionality and spacebar previews.
Files comes with 3 advanced syncing features:
Now@: sync files only when you need it with a double click, saving you local space
Sync@: allows you to sync top-level Google Drive folders to anywhere on your computer
Merge@: merges the contents of your cloud folder with a local folder
Previews: just hit the spacebar
Create: right click anywhere to create new folders + Google Docs
Take a look (click to enlarge):
Team Drives at last!
For all G Suite users! We now support syncing any Team Drive to anywhere on your computer. You can choose to group them under a parent folder or separate them.
The beta mechanics…
Insync 1.4 beta testing is open to all users (paid and unlicensed users)—this means new or unlicensed Drive accounts added to the 1.4 beta build will be assigned a 15-day Prime trial license and will be sent the standard trial emails (sorry, it’s a quirk of a drip email service we are using).
- Beta testers should backup their data first.
- Beta testers should give feedback, which is coursed through the Insync forums.
- Beta testers will have access to Team Drives syncing but will lose access after the beta period unless upgrading to “Teams". If your trial license expires during testing, email firstname.lastname@example.org to renew the trial.
- Quit Insync (and backup your data).
- Choose and install Insync 1.4:
- Ubuntu 17.04: 64-bit
- Ubuntu 17.10: 64-bit
- Ubuntu 16.04: 64-bit
- Fedora 25+: 64-bit
- For bug reports, issues or feedback – reply or create a topic here.
Note: testers will be auto-updated to the latest beta build version, when available.
For 1.4 specific how-to’s, go here.
We are introducing a new license called Teams (an update to the Business plan we offered last year) which includes the Team Drive syncing feature. The Teams plan will also be a one-time price and not a subscription. More here.
Uninstall 1.4 beta & go back to 1.3:
Because of the new features we’ve added to 1.4, beta testers who wish to go back to 1.3 should install the latest build (1.3.22) to avoid persistent errors and deletion issues:
- Quit Insync 1.4 beta and uninstall
- [Windows/Mac] Download the latest installer from our downloads page
- [Linux] Download the 1.3.22 installer below:
- Ubuntu 17.10: 64-bit
- Ubuntu 17.04: 64-bit, 32-bit
- Ubuntu 16.04: 64-bit, 32-bit
- Fedora 25/26: 64-bit, 32-bit
- Install Insync 1.3.22
We want to build the best file manager with you. Let us know what you think!