Insync-headless should have continued development amidst version 3 debacle

I can confirm that with both Manjaro and Arch Linux, tested with kernels 5.3 and 5.4, insync 1.5.7 is not able to be started from the command line.

insync start
insync add_account

results in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "isyncd/linux/headless/cli.py", line 108, in ipc_insync
  File "socket.py", line 228, in meth
error: [Errno 111] Connection refused

I am strongly of the opinion that since Insync botched its version 3 release (botched is a nice way to put it), the decision to no longer support or develop 1.5.7 headless (CLI) should be reversed. PLEASE set a couple of people to work on getting the headless version in full development again, and reconsider the abandonment of it in the face of a non-working and disastrous version 3.

2 Likes

I’ve been able to get “insync-headless start” to work on Arch Linux, although not the version on the AUR, and still with some errors such as autostart no longer working

I am afraid that any development of Insync 1.5.7 was completely and definitely ended as a final decision of development team. The Insync development team is probably represented by very small group of programmers, which is not able to maintain two Insync branches independently.

1 Like

It may have been their final decision then, but I’m asking for that decision to be reversed. Many great libre programs are maintained by volunteers, whereas Insync is a for profit company with a stream of income. They can afford to put someone on developing insync-headless.

In fact, they’re hiring! So no excuses to say they don’t have money to do it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mQHJkhJ845XNxcAdI1gSq6XVXdHau9thA5ZTnWLmxHI/edit