Insync in Ubuntu Gnome 16.04

I use Insync (pay version) few years ago.

Today I installed Ubuntu Gnome 16.04. But Insync (64 bit deb package 14.04 (I know)) dont start. It does not show the interface to add account. I dont know how debug it.

The portable version works, but dont show the “systray icon”. Any help?

1 Like

Below are the common causes for the tray icon not showing.

1. sni-qt is not installed. Try installing it then restart Insync.
  2. In some cases, when Insync is set to run at startup the tray icon is not shown. To confirm that Insync is running, run ps -ef | grep ‘insync start’; if there’s an output then Insync is running. In this case, try stopping then restarting Insync to see if the tray icon will show.
  3. Sometimes an outdated video card driver could cause the tray icon to not show. Try updating your video card driver if possible and restart Insync.

If none of these work for you, please send us an email along with the link to this post to support@insynchq.com

Thank you :slight_smile:

Same Problem on Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 with 64 bit deb package for 14.04.

after installing sni-qt insync worked but never see an icon on startup.
Restarting insync helps, but i dont want to restart insync everytime after restart!
I cant update my video card driver because it’s an Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) with opensource driver.

Please build a working 16.04 package!

I have the same problem earlier. Insync just won’t start on my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop. I just un-install and install it back. Then the GUI start insync comes back again, and able to start it. And now able to integrate to Nautilus too.

The weird part is, my 16.04 desktop is working no problem when I install it. It just works directly.

@Christian_Pfarr: When you restart Insync do you have to quit the current Insync process or is there no Insync process running? If there’s no Insync process it suggests that Insync crashed, which might be a different issue.

@Mustapa_Osman: Could your case be similar to this: Insync stopped working on Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 16.04 LTS?

No. It is an entirely different issue for me. I was running “top” when I install insync. The process was just unable to start. Like I explained on my previous responses, need to reinstall it a couple of time. But I am not sure what is different between Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu laptop ( should be the same), where installing on my desktop is none issue at all.

@mustapa_Osman: Would you like to have a teamviewer session so I can observe your issue directly? If so please send to support@insynchq.com your teamviewer ID and password and the times you’re available. We are located at GMT+8

I have the same problem, i have tried with @jaduenas suggestions (except for update video card drivers) and reinstalling insync-nautilus but the problem persists.

@Diego_Silvera: What is the output of insync start --no-daemon? You could also consider installing the TopIcons extension (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/) to show the Insync tray icon on the upper right corner.

The output of insync start --no-daemon is

Fontconfig error: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 72: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf”, line 80: saw unknown, expected number
/usr/lib/insync/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20’ not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxy.so.1)
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

(insync:29342): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:29342): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_register_object: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:29342): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

(insync:29342): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_get_unique_name: assertion ‘G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)’ failed

@Diego_Silvera: I see. That suggests that Insync is running at least. Have you tried installing TopIcons? You can also try hovering over the lower left corner of the screen to show where legacy system tray icons are displayed. It looks like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3B8FIL0yQuE/VRK-UYi0lvI/AAAAAAAAV68/br2MBn3KmC0/s1600/gnome316-tray-icons.png.

thats works in ubuntu with unity? and how should i install it?

@Diego_Silvera: Ah, I thought you were using Gnome Shell as well. That is not supported in Unity.

Please try testing on a guest or new user if the Insync tray icon is still not shown in their case. Send your logs to support@insynchq.com as well: How to find the log files.