Insync not working on Gnome 40 (with workaround)

As reported in the previous post, now it is all ok. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @mia

I’m also on insync 3.3.10.40961 (from Archlinux AUR) and unfortunately still have all the same issues:

1. insync on it’s own gives “Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome”, an error about “Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings' does not contain a key named 'antialiasing'”, and a trace/breakpoint trap/crash. I didn’t try the .so workaround posted previously (I can if it will help).

2. insync start --qt-qpa-platform=wayland loads, but is super small and has the mouse pointer mapping issue I described previously.

3. QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.1 insync start --qt-qpa-platform=wayland is still the only way I can load insync (but the scaling is a little off).

4. For all the above, no icon in the tray but insync show works. I am using a tray extension, and other tray icons are showing (Dropbox, etc)

I’m on Gnome 40 with HiDPI. I’m actually currently not using Fractional Scaling anymore, but am on Zoom 200% for the HiDPI.

1 Like

+1 with the same setup and issues

1 Like

Hey @Martin_Asenov and @gadicc!

Apologies for the trouble you’re facing. Let me check this with our Linux team.

When you can, could you please send your logs.db and out.txt files (found in ~/.config/Insync) to support@insynchq.com? Do include a link to this post for reference.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Thank you @mia, have done so. Have a great weekend too :smiley:

1 Like

Just sent an email as well. Thank you for looking into the issue!

Got your logs too, @Martin_Asenov! :slight_smile: I have forwarded them to our engineers for further investigation. Thank you so much!

1 Like

My Arch linux has error like this :
Gnome 40.1
Xorg

(insync:9812): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:21:00.210: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:…/…/…/…/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Fatal Python error: Aborted

Hi @PamungkasJayuda!

I’ve sent this to our Linux team and I’ll advise you on the next steps to take for your setup.

Thank you for your patience!

Hi @PamungkasJayuda

Can you send us the output of find / -name "loaders.cache" 2>/dev/null?

Thanks!

1 Like

On the latest ArchLinux AUR package (3.4.2.40983-2), this all started working again for me.

That update includes the workarounds mentioned in Crash when changing sync folders (Linux; with solution) and Crash changing sync directory (with fix).

Note: I wasn’t trying to change my sync folder. Maybe I did once a long time ago. At some point with an update, things just stopped working, or maybe it was when I upgraded to Gnome 40 and switched to Wayland.

So, with this update:

• No special flags are needed to load
  • Sizing / scaling is all correct
  • Mouse mapping is correct
  • Tray icon is back

and everything works.

Thanks also to @mia who has been working with me by email for a long time on this too!

1 Like

I appreciate that you posted your updates here @gadicc!!

1 Like

Running Insync version 3.5.4.50130 on openSUSE Leap 15.3 on GNOME with Wayland using scaling of 200% set in gnome control center . I am still seeing all of the following problems:
-Won’t start without QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
-Window to small and mouse mapping not correct unless I use QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.5 and even then the mouse pointer in the Insync app window is extremely small
-Can’t move the app window (because it has no window title bar/header?)
-Can’t resize the window (because it has no window borders?)
-Can’t close the app window without selecting Quit (because it has no title bar and controls?) which means I have to completely kill the app rather then have it keep running as an icon in the GNOME panel

When can we expect to have better functionality in GNOME Wayland? (Equal to what we have when running on Xorg)

1 Like

hey @roncterry, did you try the two workarounds mentioned in my post above?

With those in place, you don’t need any special flags to load (i.e. it starts successfully without QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland), and everything works great. For a bunch of us, at least.

Obviously ideally you shouldn’t need any workarounds and everything should work out the box, but that might get you up and running sooner and provide valuable input to the insync team if it solves your problem.

1 Like

Not working for me on Gnome 40.4.0 Wayland on Ubuntu 21.10. QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland insync start starts Insync but no window shows and has no tray icon, this is in the log:

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
Using Wayland-EGL
libEGL warning: MESA-LOADER: failed to open iris: /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)

libEGL warning: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:\$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)

failed to initialize EGL display
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,283 [mainlogs:_log_run:139] Core(app_version=3.5.4.50130, platform=Linux-x86_64-ubuntu/21.10) initialized
WARNING  2021-10-16 15:04:01,288 [base_events:_run_once:1771] Executing <Task pending coro=<init() running at ideskcore/core.py:146> wait_for=<Task pending coro=<SettingsMain._load_settings() running at ideskcore/mainsettings.py:170> cb=[_log_tb_after_delay() at ideskasync/coreloop.py:303, <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x7f4d98fa1d68>()] created at ideskcore/mainsettings.py:148> cb=[_log_tb_after_delay() at ideskasync/coreloop.py:303, _chain_future.<locals>._call_set_state() at asyncio/futures.py:355] created at asyncio/events.py:88> took 0.261 seconds
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,585 [inotify_manager:__init__:132] INotifyManager FS_ENCODING: utf-8
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,586 [fswatcher:_start:57] LinuxFSWatcher._start
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,586 [inotify_manager:_pull_loop:319] Inotify loop enter
WebEngineContext used before QtWebEngine::initialize() or OpenGL context creation failed.
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,766 [fswatcher:watch:77] watch origin: /home/cmannett85/Insync/camden.mannett@gmail.com/Google Drive
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,774 [main:start_core:49] core started
INFO     2021-10-16 15:04:01,775 [unix_socket_server:start:93] unix socket server thread start

This is after the workarounds mentioned above. I’m running the Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) driver and have no problems running hardware accelerated OpenGL applications.

Insync is still running though as I can see syncing successfully occurring.

Edit
This post is actually my problem, but still no title bars and tray icon.

Hey all - I am forwarding your concerns to our Linux team and lining it up for the upcoming cycle. There is a pattern across Wayland users mixed with being on Ubuntu 21.10 (among other Linux versions) and I will be working closely with the engineers to iron them out accordingly.

@cmannett85 Hi! Just wanted to follow up: by any chance does the tray icon issue persist if you switch to an X.org session?

Reference: [KDE Plasma | Wayland] Tray icon missing

That’s a bit of a nuclear option to be honest, thankfully the solution here worked (using GDK_BACKEND=x11).

1 Like

Same here updated to 21.10 yesterday and Insync does not work :frowning:

Hey all! We have an Ubuntu 21.10 Insync installer being worked on and I’ll let you know once it’s available! :slight_smile:

2 Likes