Debian Jessie
Ubuntu 20.04 and later
Ubuntu 18.04 and below
Fedora 31 and later
Fedora 30
Fedora 29
Fedora 28
Fedora 27

May I ask why the cron dependency on Buster? it’s really a thing of the past. Is Inysnc really using it? Insync is already running as a daemon, why it needs a crontab?

p.s. Can you not conflict with the desktop Insync edition? like change the Unix socket filename and the installation dir under /usr/lib.

p.s.2 Can you please not enabled analytics by default? it should be opt-in. If you add a quick-setup CLI wizard then you could ask the user if he/she wants to enable it.

@tinywrkb

May I ask why the cron dependency on Buster? it’s really a thing of the past. Is Inysnc really using it? Insync is already running as a daemon, why it needs a crontab?

We will be switching to using systemd in the future and cron is being used to start Insync on startup, you can disable this by using insync-headless config run_on_startup 0

p.s. Can you not conflict with the desktop Insync edition? like change the Unix socket filename and the installation dir under /usr/lib.

Both versions can’t be installed as syncing the same folders can cause syncing issues

p.s.2 Can you please not enabled analytics by default? it should be opt-in. If you add a quick-setup CLI wizard then you could ask the user if he/she wants to enable it.

Thank you for your suggestion, our product team will take a look at this. For now, you can opt-out analytics by running insync-headless config allow_analytics 0

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Both versions can’t be installed as syncing the same folders can cause syncing issues

Actually, the user can set the sync dir with the --path option when adding an account, so if the synced folders are not the same for the desktop and headless version then how is it different from having multiple Insync desktop sessions running on different machines?

We will be switching to using systemd in the future and cron is being used to start Insync on startup

In the AUR package we already ship systemd services so it’s good that by default the app has run_on_startup set as false.

I suggest that when switching to systemd to consider two running modes.

The most straightforward running mode is as a (personal) user service, which is what the AUR package is shipping with.
The main problem with this mode is that it requires that the user would be logged in or that the home directory would be unencrypted, and with systemd-homed the latter is not enough as homedir is not available (not mounted) when the user is not logged in.

The second running mode is running as a system service. Look at the systemd.exec.5 man page to get an idea of the common conventions.
With this mode I suggest to run as a dedicated insync user and group and to use /var/lib/insync for the stateful dir so the config and synced folders will be saved there.

I also suggest to put the Unix socket in /run/insync/insync-headless.sock when running as a system service, and in /run/user/UID/insync/insync-headless.sock or $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/insync/insync-headless.sock when running as a user service.
The insync-headless command should have a --user and --system options to choose to which socket to connect to, and if the user want to connect to the system service then just adding the user to the insync group should give the proper permissions to communicate with the service.

That’s great. But why is the version installed from your own repository version 3.0.0?

There’s not much use releasing a new version and not updating your repos.

sudo apt upgrade insync-headless
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
insync-headless is already the newest version (3.0.0.10585-buster).

Regards

Steve.

Not sure where the fault but Backspace doesn’t work for returning to the parent folder in the selective-sync TUI when Alacritty is the terminal emulator.
No such issue with rxvt-unicode. Didn’t notice such an issue before with Backspace and Alacritty.
Note that Alacritty is not Linux specific app and is available also for Windows and macOS. I only tested with Linux.

Hi @MGSteve! Thanks for this-- I’ll confirm with our engineers and have this sorted out.

@tinywrkb I’ve notified our engineer about this and will update you here!

1 Like

I looked at the issue with Alacritty again today, and it seems like I was wrong, the fault was on my side. The problem was an incorrect TERM value, and IIRC I put it as a workaround for working in remote environments, and that was before ncurses was shipping Alacritty’s terminfo.
So everything seems to be working now correctly.

If anyone else hitting such issue then check that TERM is set correctly, and depending on your terminal emulator you might need to also set TERMINFO with the path of the terminfo file.

p.s.
The j and k keys are already mapped to down and up movements. It would be nice if you continue to follow the Vim keymapping and also map h and l to go back and enter folders respectively.
Also, I’m surprised that the l key is mapped to opening the Find text box, a better choice would be f or Ctrl+f or even /.