New Insync version: 1.3.8

Release notes:

• Handled cases where a file’s revisions is not accessible anymore (due to an upcoming change in the API).
  • Fixed cases of ‘None object’ errors when moving files.
  • Fixed a case of not initializing properly when trying get info from a local Google Drive app installation.
  • Improved scaling for some High DPI displays.
  • (Linux) Fixed not being able to open Google Drive files if it contains non-ASCII characters.
  • (Linux) Added Insync context menu to KDE 5.
  • (Windows) Made the UI touchscreen-friendly.

Windows
Mac
Ubuntu 13.10 and older: 64 bit, <a href="http://s.insynchq.com/builds/insync_1.3.8.36087-precise_i386.deb"32 bit headless: 64 bit, 32 bit
Ubuntu 14.04 and newer: 64 bit, <a href="http://s.insynchq.com/builds/insync_1.3.8.36087-trusty_i386.deb"32 bit
Debian: 64 bit, 32 bit headless: 64 bit, 32 bit
Fedora 20 and older: 64 bit, 32 bit headless: 64 bit, 32 bit
Fedora 21 and newer: 64 bit, 32 bit
Portable: 64 bit, 32 bit

Please help us test.

Thanks!

1 Like

HiDPI support in GNOME 3 is still broken for me (first broken in 1.3.7). I’m using Debian Sid with GNOME 3.20.2, with dconf org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor set to 2 instead of the default 0 (but it’d be nice for InSync to auto-detect the scaling factor when it’s 0). The device is XPS 13 9350, with a screen resolution of 3200x1800 (276 ppi). Anyway, thanks for such an awesome product!

@Zhaofeng_Li: Thanks for bringing this up. I’ll take a look at this soon.

1 Like

Inital sync speed still shot to hell. :rage:

1 Like

It seems to be broken on Linux Mint 17.3 / XFCE again. The applet is frozen. I’m not sure that its really fair expecting your customers to do your testing for you. This works for a free product as the engagement is in exchange for the product. If you are charging for something it should really work. Its often going to be the case that this product is being used for important files and therefore needs to be reliable. If you want to have a beta testing program, why not make it a separate release so that people using it for work can stay on the last known good version? In the meantime, I guess its back to the web interface for me.

Apologies - a reboot seems to have cured it. Not sure why though. I should say that it has been working well for a good while now and I am pleased with it in general. I still think this is the kind of product that has to be rock solid though if possible.

@Tom_B, sorry for that and I agree with you. We usually test a bit longer and try to gather more feedback from users before making it the current version. We just expedited this release because there’s an upcoming change in the Drive API that will make some functionalities fail.

Thanks for the feedback!

This version seems to have fixed my Ubuntu 16.04 issues. Had been churning in progress mode and not syncing properly. Error survived multiple reinstalls. Went to headless for a while until this version. Now all is good. Thanks.

I’m still sitting at 300k files to go after running nonstop for 3 months. Nothing changed on the sync speed with the new version.

1 Like

@Tom_B: By “applet is frozen”, do you mean that you were able to open the app window but clicking on the links had no effect? Was this when Insync was started on log in? Do you remember if Insync was using a lot of CPU during this time?

Overall, I am happy with insync so far. I like it more than Google’s client. But, we got to fix a few bugs to make it even better.

• Lets start with a serious bug. on windows 10 (might be on other OS too as I saw some other people reported the same issue), insync created new folders with same name on web (instead of reusing the existing folders). My google drive is a mess now with so many duplicated folders. This is a serious bug! I think, you guys should review your folder matching logic and we need immediate fix for this.

• Upload speed could be a lot more faster by running multiple upload threads. It took one day to sync ~10,000 files. So, for my 360,000 files (only 15 gb), it would take a month to upload? This is not practical for users like myself. 30 days for 15 gb??? Again, I saw some other people saying the same thing. So, we would appreciate any response from you guys.

• File count: the file count number is not right. Some times, the number went up without any changes. Eg: It showed 350,000 items remaining and an hour later, 355,000 items remaining. Where did that 5000 items came from? or what was going on?

• app.js (located at App\res\html\js\ ) has an error somewhere around line no. 48347. var page = this.getRoutes()[1].name; ( <= this.getRoutes()[1] is undefined). Within a few hours of running, the logs.db became very big. So, if we are to run this for years, the logs.db will be gigabytes in size.

@ZeroHackeR

I have just replied to your email. I am replying here too so that if others are experiencing something similar, it could address their concerns as well.

• Re: duplicates, if you were previously running Google Drive app on the Insync (/Google Drive) folder, then you must never run Google Drive app on that folder again (after you have migrated to Insync) - it will lead to duplicates. Please sign out of the Google Drive app if you haven’t already.

• Upload speed must be calculated when Insync is actually transferring the file as reflected under the Progress section. Having said that, in order for you to be able to utilize the bandwidth in a custom manner, we are including the configurable max. simultaneous transfer setting in 2.0. Presently, the sync speed is mainly throttled by the Google Drive scan (during initial sync) and the local folder scan if there are large number of files (happens every time you start or pause-resume Insync or do a force-sync on a large folder). Therefore we recommend that you do not pause-resume if you have a large number of files present in the local folder. We will try to improve on the sync speed as well in the upcoming releases.

• File count can go up even if nothing changed as the scanning may not have been finished when you observed the count last time.

• That error was most probably harmless. Insync does prune logs periodically (upon every start and after every 24 hours if it has been running continuously) to about 10K lines.

Thanks

Regarding duplicates: I’ve stopped Google Drive from running (in fact I’ve uninstalled it) when I started using InSync. But, in the hope of speeding up the sync, I’ve reused the old folder left by Google Drive. I now have over 3000 empty folders with duplicated names. Those folders were synced back to local with “(2)” in the names. Again, those folders were created by InSync and not by Google (check image below). So, as I said, you guys should review your matching logic. You should check why InSync created folders with same name in the first place, while there were already existing folders.

Speed: Thanks for your explanation. But, I think, you guys should fix it ASAP. I still have about 200,000 files even after a week.

File Count: Even after a few days of continuous running? :confused:

Error: Noted.

Hey, it happened to me too. fortunately there are softwares that delete duplicate folders in a matter of seconds.
here is the one I have used:
http://www.jonasjohn.de/red.htm

it’s free

@Yooofi Thanks! I will wait for initial sync to be done… Is it safe to delete those folders?

@dipesh Another user who had the same problem. You guys should serious look into this.