New Insync version 3.3.4

Could you send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com @Vladimir_Oka? I’ll have our engineers check for any timeouts or network issues on Insync’s end. Thank you!

@mia I’ve now updated to 3.3.5 but will continue to keep an eye on this and will send logs if I think it’s happening again. Seems stable so far (since yesterday). Although the (public) 3.3.5 changelog didn’t contain anything that would point to this kind of improvement.

1 Like

I’m just about to start evaluating Insync, and I was fully expecting to do exactly that. Why doesn’t it work? What happens when you point at the same folder with the second boot OS?

Typically, you get duplicate files ending with (2) or similar in the filename. Speculating, I think the sync DB (held locally) is using OS-specific file path representations so that something like c:\Google Drive\bob.txt appears different to /Volumes/Data/Google Drive/bob.txt which is also considered different to /mnt/Data/Google Drive/bob.txt. When the sync DB is considered on the other system, it cannot understand the existing file definitions as the file system mapping is completely different.

Again, I’m only guessing, but it seems to be the cause based on how I saw duplicates of the files piling up. It would explain why the tool doesn’t see them as the same and you get an intermix of duplicates all over the place. Assuming my guess is good, I would hope that any fix would cause the tool to no longer use the OS specific representations but a native hierarchical representation that can be reconciled with the OS representation when walking the filesystem.

I could very easily be wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sigh. OK, thanks. I’ll go back to looking for a program that does what I need. I’ve actually had pretty good luck with Backup and Sync on that front. It’s the desktop.ini and _icon and _icon(1) and ._somefilename and so forth that are making me crazy. I’m here for the exclude file.