Out.txt ate my hard drive

Hi,

I’m running Insync on 2 computers, both of which are Ubuntu 15.04. One of these computers is working on uploading a large amount of data to GDrive. It’s been running for a few days now… Yesterday as I was checking on it, I noticed that Insync had paused due to “Insufficient Disk Space”. I traced the problem back to Insync’s out.txt file - which had ballooned up to a whopping 227.4GB - yes, with a G. Hoping it was a one time deal, I deleted and went back to normal operations…

This morning I thought I would check it - just in case… and it had managed to make it to 12.5GB over night. Again, deleted, and now I’m watching it. At the moment, it’s been running for a few hours and has not recreated the out.txt file. I’m hoping to catch it when it does so I can at least get some output from it before it becomes to large to work with.

On my secondary machine (the one that hasn’t been uploading for days) the out.txt files is normal sized and only contains a repeat of the following:

(nautilus:4573): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(nautilus:4573): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(nautilus:4573): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_object: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Exception in thread Inotify loop:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "threading.py", line 763, in run
  File "isyncd/linux/fswatch.py", line 278, in _pull_loop
error: (4, 'Interrupted system call')

Not sure if this is known issue or not, and just thought I’d let you know… If you need more info, just ask.

Thanks
Daniel

Let me tag our engineer @lpugoy and he will get back to you.

@internalkernel: Apologies for the trouble. Were you able to check the out.txt file to see what took most of the space?

Yes, and as it turns out… probably my fault.

I’ve been using trickle to throttle the upload and it looks like the output was being pushed into out.txt. I assumed that out.txt was solely output from Insync (another log file)… but in this case the output from trickle was redirected into out.txt too.

It seems Insync only creates the file on launch so deleting it works fine… :slight_smile:

Thanks for your time…
Daniel

@internalkernel: I see. It’s not good to allow the out.txt file to grow without bounds though, I’ve added an entry for it in our list of issues.

Hi,

I am seeing just that on my mac - just purged out.txt with over 200GB of space used.

Any tips on how to disable the behaviour?

Hi @Petr_Klus,

We’ll need to look into this further. Could you please confirm your Mac OS and Insync version when this happened?