Reinstall on new computer with same external harddrive

I use an external harddrive as my local source. My old computer died so I reinstalled Insync on the new computer. However, when I pointed the local Insync folder to the existing harddrive, it will not allow me to use the same name xxxxx@gmail.com as it already exists on the harddrive. In theory all of my “stuff” in sync from my harddive to googledrive so I don’t want to create another folder on my harddrive with a different name to resync the exact same information. Nor do I have enough space to do so. In short, how can I reinstall InSync and point to my existing external harddrive? dotte.personal@gmail.com Thank you, David

@David_Otte Right now, this is not yet possible. You need to re-sync everything from the start. File-compare feature is not yet available, that will allow this use-case. It will be available in version 1.4 :smile:

https://forums.insynchq.com/t/how-to-get-started-with-insync/30

Thank you for your patience.

Is there a timeline roadmap towards 1.4?

@Fastidious We don’t have an ETA but it will be in the next couple of months :smile:

I would be too much and needed urgently, you might not even release a beta ???

If you still access other options with an account of several clients on the same network folder?

I apologize in advance for asking what might be a novice question: What is the best way to setup Insync so that the files I want to sync with Google Drive are stored on an external drive? I’ve located the Insync folder on the external drive but want to ensure that that alone will guard against all of the warnings I’ve seen about Google Drive files going missing if synced to an external drive. Moreover, I’ve read about the “Add to Insync” menu item but am not clear on its utility if I’ve placed all of my files on the external drive anyway. I’ve also read that photos can be stored and synced on an external drive - and I just want to confirm that this is not limited to photos. Finally, are there limitations about file name symbols and lengths as is often the case with OneDrive? Thanks so much.

any word on when this is going to be a feature? I am having the same trouble. I have all my google files sync’d to my network drive but when I install insync on my second computer it is telling me I cant have the same folder name. I just want it to pickup the sync and not resync everything.

Hi @Christiaan_Y it will be out in a couple of weeks but no definite ETA yet :smile:

HELP - I need updates!! Is this going to be available soon?

Hi @Christiaan_Y if our internal testing goes well it should be out in a couple of weeks/this month :smile:

Looks like version 1.4 is still not out. Mine is on 1.3.8. Your last post in Sep 15 said that it will be out in a few weeks. Looks like your company may have a credibility issue. I should have thought twice before purchasing.

This is what I am attempting to do without success. I have the software installed and aimed at a target location of E: (which is always the same portable ext HD)

Did this ever happen? Looking to reinstall my OS but I have 3TB of pictures uploaded that would need to be redownloaded?

Hello, I posted this question 2 years ago and I hope things have changed as I now have a terabyte of data to sync, I bought a new computer leveraging the same external harddrives. I reinstalled Insync and chose the external drive (the virtual drive letter changed from e to d for the insync folder location) but I used the same folder name which is my google email address. When I got up this morning, I looked and it said that I had over 100,000 files to sync which it should have been ZERO. Then I looked at my external harddrive via WindowsExplorer and although my insync folder was still there and my main subfolders were there, when I drilled down, it looks like Insync has replicated but sub-subfolder with the same name add “2” to them all and is resyncing the data so I will eventually have duplicates of everything. It doesn’t appear to be happening on Google Drive (i.e., in the cloud). It’s just duplicating to my external harddrive and what’s further perplexing is that it’s replicating sub-sub folders and not the main folders…but given enough time, maybe it would replicate them as well. I have stopped replication until someone can provide me any guidance. This is a bigger disaster than 2 years ago as now I have 10x more data. HELP!!!

1 Like