Sync all but one folder

I’m not sure if this exists yet or not but I have a situation where I have an existing Google Drive account that contains a lot of data. I was setting up the existing account in Insync and wanted to sync the ENTIRE DRIVE (and new files and folders that get created) with the exception of ONE folder in the root of the drive account.

I see things being talked about with some type of ignore list but I can’t find it anywhere in Insync (unless it’s really just talking about some type of selective sync which I do see).

My issue is that there is one single folder on the root of my drive account that has a massive amount of data in it that I don’t even want Insync to look at. When I set up the new account on Insync there should be a process that lets you set up ALL the settings 100% BEFORE ANY SYNCING is done. Usually Insync gets hung up for days trying to inventory my drive and starts downloading things before I have a chance to tell it not to! This should really be approached a different way. Giving the user the interface to show what they want to selectively sync was a good start but consider my situation…

1. Add a new account, and nothing is synced by default. Great.
  2. Tell Insync to sync the entire drive. It starts to sync right then. Bad.
  3. Wait a day or two before you can do anything in the Insync GUI because it is tied up trying to sync.
  4. Everything in your drive is now downloaded to your PC. This is not what was wanted.
  5. Tell Insync to NOT sync FolderA in the root of the drive account.

Currently I don’t even think you can do #5. I think the best I can do right now is ONLY select every folder except the one I don’t want to sync (which by the way gets update constantly). Then anytime I want to add a new file/folder to the root of the drive I have to tell Insync to sync it too… :frowning:

I’m not sure if this is possible with the way Insync works. It also has to do with how Google Drive handles files.
Even if Insync can ignore it completely during initial setup, in future use, updates in that folder will still appear in your Google Drive activity feed, and there’s simply no way to filter that out with Google Drive’s public API.

Yes,

No, you don’t need to, as long as “Sync new children of partial folders” is checked in Folder Settings.

1 Like