Thousands of files syncing after migrating from Drive, is that normal?

Hi!

This is more of a concern I’d like to express. I just about had it with Google’s native app and was recommended InSync so I just started the trial. I’m quite pleased with the interface but a little worried with the numbers I’m seeing. In the Progress area, it’s stating 181k+ items queued and the number is rising. There’s about 141k files and 31k folders in my entire Drive.
My setup had Google Drive syncing an entire drive (D). To move to InSync, I disabled Drive to boot at startup and closed it, then installed InSync and chose to go with the Drive folder.

My concern of course is that it might be creating duplicates of everything (been reading some of those issues on these forums). I’ve been looking inside the folders that I see passing by in the Progress and Feed interface, both locally and online, but haven’t spotted anything odd yet. The main reason I’m concerned is that InSync states “you added [folder name] in [folder name]” an awful lot. In the online interface I see things like this:

The above example, folder named “0”, seems to be located in a complex structure in a $RECYCLE.BIN folder. I’ve already cleared the recycle bin of drive D locally and Drive’s bin online.

A second example just now created a duplicate folder but not the files in it:

Which reflects this online:

And this locally:

The number in the Progress area has now increased to 201k+ as I’m concluding this post. Should I be panicking or is this normal behaviour? My 1TB Drive now contains 553GB of data. I’m running Windows 10 version 1511.

This may also be important. There’s one error showing: Can’t process [folder name] - User rate limit exceeded.

The count is now at 269k+… anyone?

I hit retry on the error and it didn’t appear again.

Will be tagging our engineer @dipesh and he will get back to you :slight_smile:

Awesome, cheers. The count is now at 274,567 and seems to be frozen. I took the advice received via mail, I uninstalled Google Drive.

1 Like

Success! I uninstalled and unlinked InSync and reinstalled/linked it again, which got things back on track. I just left it running for about 24 hours non stop and voila, a completely synced Drive with InSync. @dipesh has been providing fantastic support with the logs. There are a few bugs to squash like some folders were duplicated (files were not) and there are some errors concerning gsheet and gdoc files. The main issue has been solved though :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for the help!

@Timmy What was the trick to fix it or make syncing faster? It took 8 hours to sync 8,000 files. So, my backup folder with 360,000 files (15 gb only) would take 360 hours or 15 days… I also noticed that, the files count went up and down…

Hey @ZeroHackeR
The main trick was… well… play the waiting game really. How far is your sync now?
You can always contact support@insynchq.com with your logs, they have been very helpful in the process of getting all my files (576GB!) synced. Large amounts of micro files will always complicate things. In my case there were two folders that posed major obstacles. One was a system folder, $RECYCLE.BIN, which I permanently deleted. The other was Lightroom’s catalog folder, which contains almost 54K files across nearly 30K folders. Once it got passed that the sync was a breeze.

As a final update to the thread, all is good now! I’m fully synced and it’s running much smoother compared to Google Drive. My favourite feature: live notifications on file changes (excellent for collaborating). I’m now a happy InSync customer :smile:
Thanks again @jaduenas and @dipesh!

Thanks… I still have 200,000 files to sync… :smiley: