Thunar Plugin Not Working [with user workaround]

Hi there

I’m running Xubuntu 22.04.1 LTS x86_64 and have installed the InSync Thunar plugin but it doesn’t work. Here’s the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 126, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace Thunarx not available
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/importer.py", line 136, in load_module
    raise ImportError('cannot import name %s, '
ImportError: cannot import name Thunarx, introspection typelib not found

(thunar:5926): thunarx-python-WARNING **: 08:37:10.532: thunarx_python_init_python failed
/usr/share/thunarx-python/extensions/insync-menu-plugin.py:28: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import GObject, Gtk, Thunarx  # noqa isort:skip
  File "/usr/share/thunarx-python/extensions/insync-menu-plugin.py", line 28, in <module>

Is there any way to fix this?

Hi @ShayneOConnor! Thanks for reaching out about this, and my apologies for the trouble!

Let me forward the issue to our Linux engineer and I’ll update this thread once I have more information.

Hi @ShayneOConnor

Can you try installing this package?

sudo apt install libthunarx-3-0

1 Like

Installing libthunarx-3-0 gives this error message when trying to run Thunar:

Gtk-Message: 09:38:00.755: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
And Thunar won’t run at all.

Then the following packages are installed:
thunarx-python
insync–thunar
libthunarx-3-0

Edit: Added more info

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve the same problem with a fresh linux Mint 21 Vanessa. Installing insync-thunar lead to a complete failure of thunar. Purging insync-thunar resolved the situation and thunar is working again.
From my ~/,xsession-errors

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 126, in require_version

(xfdesktop:1981): thunarx-python-WARNING **: 09:04:36.918: thunarx_python_init_python failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1393: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.ImageMenuItem.set_image is deprecated
  menuItem3.set_image(image)
blueman-applet 09.04.36 WARNING  PluginManager:151 __load_plugin: Not loading PPPSupport because its conflict has higher priority
/usr/share/thunarx-python/extensions/insync-thunar-plugin.py:28: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  File "/usr/share/thunarx-python/extensions/insync-thunar-plugin.py", line 28, in <module>

Thank you for sending the output my way, and apologies for the experience, @obscura59!

I’ll have our engineer investigate the info you sent, and I’ll update you should we need more information.

Same problem here.

• Debian bookworm
  • Thunar 4.18.3
  • insync-thunar (3.7.9.50368)

Any update on this issue?

Thanks.

Let me follow this up with our Linux Team. Thank you!

I had the same problem with RappidVCS (https://github.com/rabbitvcs/rabbitvcs). I managed to fix this problem by installing the gir1.2-thunarx-3.0 package on bookworm (thunar 4.18.4) that deploys introspection data for Thunarx.

1 Like

Many thanks! Your solution works.

1 Like