Access to our Contacts - why?

I installed the InSync client on Windows, entered my Google password in the captive browser, but then found that inSync requires authoritzation to manage my contacts, as well as my drive.

My work does not permit me to gave away all of my contact information. I would have thought this would be an issue for an work place?

I’m puzzled about why this would be necessary and hope that it will be removed in the future.

It’s for our auto-complete feature when right-clicking to share. We added it to make it faster to match sharees and minimize input error.

Ok, thanks for fast response. Too bad, though, as it prevents me from using InSync and I was excited to have discovered it. :disappointed:

why is it not possible to disable that feature? i just found out that you loaded all my contacts when i opened your SQLite Database. I will delete all the contacts from it since i don’t think its necessary for the app to work!

I think it is too late for that. Either they already uploaded them to their server in which case you’ve already lost control of them, or if they haven’t then they probably never will and there is no danger.

But your discovery is good for illustrative purposes - you can see how much personal data one is giving away when you grant the contacts permission.

Not just my personal data, but the personal data of everyone I know or have done business with. This is the most important permission - IMO giving it to an app that has no real need for it makes no sense to me.

yea, you are right! good choice you didn’t download it!

and deleting them didn’t help since it downloaded them again and there is no possibility to selectively revoke this permission in a google account (unlike Facebook where you can do this)

@Tom @silentdrummer We don’t do anything with your contacts except for autocompleting when sharing. We don’t upload them to our servers.

I understand the trepidation in trusting a company with it but I assure you we don’t have malicious intent. It was built-in for a better sharing experience.

Hope that clarifies it.

@terpua it does indeed clarify. but it does not explain why it is absolutely necessary. in my opinion, you should make it an optional feature.

cheers

I have added it to our list.

Thanks.

I was strongly considering rolling out Insync to my full work team … we REALLY need some of these features (like multiple account support). However, now that I see the required full permissions required to manage contacts, I will NOT be able to become a customer (nor will my team). I cannot have a 3rd party app that is able to change/modify my contacts. They are the lifeblood of anyone’s life and a company’s life. You are losing my business (and my team’s) because you do not seem to understand this. I would love to re-consider and use Insync if you would consider making this permission optional? Or even if you only asked for VIEW permission to contacts. (Instead of Manage.) Thank you for listening.

@Tom @silentdrummer @WBM Good news :smile:

We have removed Google Contacts access in our latest forum build:

Let me know if it works for you.

That’s great. Thanks for being so responsive. Will give it a try.

It looks like access to Google contacts is back and I don’t see a way to disable it. It’d be nice if this was an option one could disable during install.