Feature request: Sync as Google Doc for new MS Office file

Operating system: Windows (but not specific to Windows)

Hi guys, I’m really happy to see the ability to create a new Document/Spreadsheet/etc without having to load up Google Drive, but I’d like to feed them back to you an improvement feature request.

I asked about this in June 16 (Create Google document from PC side). Essentially, I use the Convert to MS Office format option of Insync, and it’s great to write in either MS Office or Google Docs, and not have to worry about syncing. However, if a new MS Word document is created and synced, then it can’t be edited in Google Drive without having to clone the document and delete the original… very clunky behaviour, but I’m used to it now.

This behaviour can be fixed by creating a Google Document first, then when it syncs it will appear on my computer as a MS Word document exactly as I want it, with no duplication issues.

Being able to create a new Google Doc from within Insync is 50% of the way there, but it would be great if insync could detect that the MS Word document is new, and create the Google Document for me instead, avoiding the duplication issue. I understand that this is one of those features that is disproportionately complicated to implement, but I’m doing my duty as a beta tester and would be over the moon if it could be implemented, as I’m sure plenty of others would too.

Thanks guys,

Greg.

1 Like

I’ll take note of this feature, thanks for sharing your usecase Greg.

+1 here. I see the same inconsistent limitation… :wink: