Ignore list: allow patterns, not just extensions

I would like to ignore also filenames like:

~*
sw?
.~*

As I get it correctly, the Ignore list feature only allows to enter file extensions.

At least * and ? are needed in the patterns, but regular expressions would be even more cool (however I know most people would be confused by RE if they just expected *? patterns; maybe a checkbox for RE patterns in the config could do).

@peci1 This is being considered :smile:

Would you pay for this as a separate “advanced Ignore List” feature?

cc @jimperio

Thanks :wink: No, it’s not worth paying for me :slight_smile:

It’s just worth a bit of Googling and telling you that using fnmatch would be a good solution (however, existing ignored extensions would have to be converted to *.ext).

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that I would pay for the feature. I’m sorry about it because I shouldn’t have to, but no sync app seems interested in doing anything about it except for Insync’s very welcome, but sadly limited extension-based ignore list.

If not a pattern list, at the very least, arbitrary folder names (‘temp’, ‘tmp’, ‘log’, etc.) in addition to extensions should be an integral feature. It’s absolutely necessary in order to sync code development workstations efficiently for the same reason that git has a pattern-based ignore list. Without it, syncing is a huge PITA that I’ve been trying to work around since Ubuntu One went under. Their Linux version did exactly what @peci1 and I want - it accommodated a list of regex patterns to ignore.

Bottom line is I guess there isn’t a business case for this simple feature because it’s not really necessary for the predominant file-sharing paradigm. It’s important enough to the tiny market that is “me” that I’m about to abandon Insync for my dev work (the best of the bunch, but not good enough for my needs) and attempt to write my own lame Drive app. I’m tired of dealing with this limitation for a year now trying to keep my workstations in sync, seeing my CPU capacity and internet connection sucked up to process umpteen cache files (does “sprockets” ring a bell?), log files, map tiles, dump files, etc. etc to upload at the pathetic speeds ISP’s offer.

@lnigra our Ignore List feature is something we want to expand to include advanced settings like regex pattern matching. No ETA but it’s definitely on our list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad this is in the pipeline! I hope you’ll include the capability to pattern match on the beginning of the file name, to take care of apps that create temporary or lock files, e.g. when opening “foo.docx” with OpenOffice in a shared folder, I get a notification of the lockfile being created, something like

.~lock.foo.dox 

and another notification when that lockfile is deleted. Neither notification tells me something useful, and I’d like the option to suppress them. Other apps will have other patterns for lock and temp files…

TIA

Would you like new customers ??
Well there is a growing segment of developers, that would like to sync their projects to the cloud.
but because there is no feature to ignore folders and files etc, they end up creating their own solution.

I think i speak on behalf of every developer that if you make this your priority number 1 feature and get it out now, You will receive not just new customers, but will become the defacto sync program for developers.

I mean no one wants to sync node_modules, NO ONE.

Please listen and make this priority even over current bugs.

1 Like

Thanks for that @mojotaker it’s in the list of features we want to add for our future versions, we will +1 this on our list, thanks!

Hello all and we have an update on the ignore list feature – it now supports glob syntax!

Let us know what you think: New Insync version: 1.2.17