Initialization failed!

I am running Insync on 2 Macs running 1.2.12

On the primary machine , I see the error , Initialization failed!
On thesecondary machine , All is working as expected.

Please advise

Hi @michael_gannon, I’m sorry to hear this. We will have our engineer look into it. Could you kindly send your log files (How to find the log files) to support@insynchq.com so we can help you with this. Thank you!

Log files sent to support

Mike

I’m having the same error. What should I do, my log file is 220 megs.

@ricyoung This error usually means that the Insync database has become corrupted and needs to resync. You can reduce the size of your logs by deleting the current file then restart Insync to create a new log file. Please send in the newer log file to support@insynchq.com.

same problem here, very frustrating especially as I’m trying to migrate to Gdrive for all company files

I have the same issue. I have 3 accounts setup on my Mac, 2 are syncing correctly but 1 has the “Initialization Failed!” error. I don’t know if it is a good idea to delete the account and start over or recover in some other way.

@Simon_Repton Right now, in the majority of cases, the best and only way to recover from an “Initialization failed!” error is to remove the account and start over. We apologize for this inconvenience. We are working on improving this recovery behavior as one of our top priorities.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that I will need to delete the account and recreate it. How do I do that in a way to avoid file loss and minimize syning after I build the new account?

@Simon_Repton You can do something like this:

1. Remove the account from Insync, then quit Insync.
  2. Rename or move your existing Insync folder.
  3. Start Insync, and add your account again. Since you renamed your previous folder, you can select the same location when setting it up.
  4. (Optional) Under “Advanced Setup”, you can prioritize the files/folders that you need to be downloaded first by only selecting those to be synced, instead of syncing everything at once. You can then just select all the rest that you want to sync later on, via the Insync app window.
  5. Once Insync has finished downloading the files that you want to sync from Drive, you can then check your old folder for new/updated files. You could do this either manually or using a tool like DiffMerge. Simply move the new/updated files from your old Insync folder to the new Insync folder.

Same problem here, but I am very reluctant to rename folders, as I have updates on both computers and I am very, very afraid to loase information. We are talking here about 1Tb Google account with such a sensitive information, days and weeks of work. You want me to compare folders, it will take the entire weekend. This is very, very worrying and frustratiing.

Please help

1 Like

@Stefan_Dimitrov

We are working on a file compare feature that will enable restoring of sync without manually comparing the folders. This will be available in the next version, 1.3, slated to be ready for user testing at the very latest within the month.

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience that Insync has caused you.

I am so disappointed with such an error. I was so confident about Insync and can’t believe I am now forced to do manually what I have installed Insync for. There is currently no free space on my 4TB drive to do this INSANE work (as described from jimperio to Simon_Repton). There are several folders I don’t sync from this machine and I am now travelling, with limited WiFi connection. Is there a way I can at least recover my synced folder’s list? Please tell me this isn’t happening in such a crucial time.

It’s been over 24h and I am still in the redownloading process. My bandwidth is only 50 MB, so it might still take another day, as it seems. :rage: Unbelievable!

@Fred We can only apologize for the inconvenience. Database corruption is a major issue that we’re working hard to resolve. In the next major versions of Insync (1.3 onwards), recovering sync from this case will be easier as re-downloading would no longer be necessary, and Insync would automatically detect any local changes that need to be uploaded.

My first machine is still syncing files for over 60 hours… Meanwhile, my second machine, on which database corruption hasn’t occurred (at least not yet) is stuck with an over 30.000 files queue, for the last 24h, although I have unselected the folder in which sync is occurring (and was not supposed to).

A total mess for my mind and machines. I wish we were not even at all: I was a happy Insync user prior to this. While you can only apologize, I can only complain and redo a lot of organizing.

Hi Jimperio, Also have this problem.
From your suggestions…How do we “quit insynch”? I see no Quit option, and insync does not show in “Force Quit” dialog box.
thanks

@rossasaurus You can quit Insync by hovering over the + icon and selecting Quit from the dropdown menu. Alternatively, you can right-click the Insync icon and select quit from the menu that appears.

ok, thanks, I see there are a few ways to quit.

I am encountering the “Initialization failed!” error after having restored my laptop from backup (OSX 10.11.3) last week. Your comment from Sep '15 says, “In the next major versions of Insync (1.3 onwards), recovering sync from this case will be easier as re-downloading would no longer be necessary, and Insync would automatically detect any local changes that need to be uploaded.”

Is this the case? I am running Insync 1.3.6.36076. How do I re-initialize my 5 google accounts?

Thx