Insync-headless and selective-sync

Hi guys

Currently on trial and just a bit confused around trying to get insync-headless setup on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Ultimately what I’m trying to do is just use Google Drive as a remote filesystem. I have local files that I want to seed to Google Drive, remove from local storage but keep available on the local server.

Is this possible? Could someone give me a quick play-by-play on the process if possible?

Source folder: /storage/photos
Destination folder: /photos

Thanks in advance.

Okay, so I’ve actually resorted to using google-drive-ocamlfuse to mount Google Drive and am just using insync to do the initial sync of files which I will have no use for once the sync is complete.

So, solution solved for the time being. Still curious as to whether this will work via the Insync client, but I’m assuming not based on my digging thus far.

tagging our engineer @lpugoy

@jfnz: Could you describe more what you mean by

@lpugoy: Effectively all I want is items stored on Google Drive available for a Linux machine to read from, without having to retain a local copy of the data.

I have gotten around this using google-drive-ocamlfuse to mount the drive as a FUSE partition. Another option I’ve discovered is WebDAV via OpenDrive. That being said, this was the functionality I was hoping Insync would provide though I may have been mistaken?

Thanks for your help.

@jfnz: I see. Insync doesn’t provide that functionality, but you might be able to approximate it by selectively syncing only the files you want: How to selectively sync Google Drive folders and files.