Multi-Thread Upload/Downlaod

When will this feature be available? It takes forever to sync a large amount of files and it only uses a small part of the available bandwidth. (Syncing from Linux with Insync 1.3.6)

@marte Could someone send me a syncworks.py file with 20 or 30 threads enabled so I can test if download is any faster?

@Peter: we’ll add support for changing it via environment variable / command-line argument on the next release. Thanks for the feedback.

i agree with the feature request.

another idea is that insync figures out by itself what the best number of parallel transfers is. call it “intelligent multi thread” and make it a major feature. for very small files it would transfer up to something like 20 files, in the middle area maybe 5 parallel connection and for large files it sticks to 2 parallel transfers.

Is the May release that release?

@marte can I already change the environment variable to enable multi-threaded upload?
I’m on linux on version 1.3.10

1 Like

Not yet available for 1.3, it’s coming out for 2.0 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whenabouts can we expect 2.0? My trial version is about to expire and despite my gigabit connection I’ve yet to complete a full sync within the trial period. (I have fair amount of data.) I’m happy to buy a license once InSync supports more threads, but apparently that license won’t cover 2.0 versions. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Insync:

This is really getting kind of sad for a piece of commercial software. We live in the days of hundreds of thousands of files and muli-hundred Mb/sec internet connections - and your software is seemingly optimized for transmitting a few hundred punch cards at a time. This is clearly not a major issue - someone has hacked a fix themselves for Windows. It’s present in just about (if not every) other synchronization / backup product I know of: Backblaze, Crashplan, Transmit and others. Your value proposition is that you can talk to multiple Google accounts - which is why I bought it. But that’s pretty much neutralized by the fact that you can’t talk well to even one account.

Decide if this is a hobby or a business and listen to your customers. What they say is important is what’s important - not what you think is cool.

I certainly can’t recommend this to anyone until this simple problem is fixed - almost two years after just this thread started.

@fnkr Many thanks, I made the change you suggested and it seems faster now. Still not as fast as I would like… and I have a Gigabit Internet connection :frowning:

How is the “multi threads” going? It’s extreme slow when uploading lots of small files.

Soooo… any word on this? I have just left my laptop on for 5 days straight to do the initial sync. Any support would be hugely appreciated. Anything we can do to speed this development up?

2 Likes

Any news on this front? I’m currently downloading a project folder with more than 20,000 small files, and it’s barely doing 1-2 files per second…

Would love this feature as well, I have a huge project also containing ~35k files, combined total under 500mb and its taken two days now just to half that number doing just two files at a time. I’m running on Windows and don’t have the compiling knowledge to change anything myself :frowning: . The lack of this feature is having me question continuing beyond my trial.

+1 for this feature!

Thank you!

+1 for this feature. This is needed badly!!

Given that Insync still sometimes encounters rate limit issues, I don’t think they’ll really consider giving users the freedom to set multi-threaded upload / download any time soon.
See the linked posts below.

+1 really want this feature.

1 Like

How about at least spawning a separate thread for Team Drives, so that I can dedicate a CPU to this process? Right now, several of my clients most of the time just see “Scanning for changes…” under Progress.

I could really use this feature as well. Downloading 90,000 small ish files is taking forever and its hardly scratching my gigabit internet.