Receiving error message: "Cannot Process X - file not found"

Running inSync (1.2.11) on Linux Mint and after reorganizing some directories I received the above error. The files were not loaded to Google Drive and I manually moved them directly to Google Drive but the error messages still remain.

Anyway to stop the error messages.

Hi @Thomas_McCool I will tag our engineer @lpugoy so he can answer for us. We want to help so please send in your log files (How to find the log files) to support@insynchq.com so we can investigate further. Thank you!

I will send in the log files

I was able to clear the error messages by changing the suffix of the 4 files involved. If I reverted them back to the original suffix (ex: .doc or .xlsb) and then put them back as gddoc and gdsheet - that appeared to solve the issue locally and the error messages I was receiving disappear. Not sure what really happening but did send in the logs to see if that helps with the analysis.

I had a few hundred of these errors nested deeply in folder structures. Which made it impractical to rename by hand.

I wrote a small python script that changes the file extension to something else. I’d wait for it to sync the changed files, then rename them back. In this way I was able to rename them all in just a few minutes. Here is the script, You will need to change parts to make it relevant to your situation and the particular errors you are getting.

import os, os.path

DIR = '/home/me/me@gmail.com'
OLD_EXT = '.gdmap'
NEW_EXT = '.gdmap1'

for root, dirs, files in os.walk(DIR):
    for file in files:
        if file.lower().endswith(OLD_EXT):
            base_file, ext = os.path.splitext(file)
            new_filename = os.path.join(root, base_file + NEW_EXT)
            os.rename(os.path.join(root, file), new_filename)
            print(new_filename)

Change DIR to your isync directory, change OLD_EXT to one of the extensions you are having issues with, and change NEW_EXT to a temporary extension I just added 1 to the end.

Save the file as a python file and run it. For example if you called the file rename.py you would run it like this:

python3 rename.py

You will need python 3 installed, or the script is pretty easy to modify to run on 2.* variants of python.

This will output to your terminal all the files it is changing. Like I said run it, let it sync. A bunch of your errors should go away, then swap OLD_EXT and NEW_EXT so it is looking for your renamed file extensions and have it change them back.

Worked very well for me. Good luck!