"Smart Sync" functionality

1.4 beta version number:
Operating system:
Windows 10

Issue:

I love Dropbox’s Smart sync functionality.

I note Google Drive has introduced a similar feature with it’s Google Drive File Stream. However the current Window’s client isn’t as feature rich. For example, there’s no Selective Sync. I know technically you don’t need Selective Sync with Smart Sync, but it is good to have that control in case you accidentally sync a big folder.

I like how Google Drive maps a G:\ drive. This is good for traditional computer users who are use to working with a mapped drive. It also means within an organisation, you can share links to local files as everyone’s path should be the same.

I also note Google Drive icon overlays don’t always work. So currently I can’t tell if a file or folder is locally synched or cloud only.

/i’d be keen to try the 1.4 beta of InSync. Does it have smart sync functionallity where users can choose if a file is locally synched or available in the cloud only?

Yes, 1.4 beta has “Smart Sync”. You just double click on the file inside the Files view to sync it locally.

Like Google Drive and Dropbox, can you right click the file in Windows Explorer and select it to sync locally from there? Or does it need to be done via the InSync client?

In Windows, is there any icon overlays in Windows Explorer to show if the file/folder is locally synched or if it’s cloud only?

It is done via the Insync app. There will however be overlays in Windows Explorer.

I can’t see any overlays in Windows Explorer. How do I fix this?

Can you update InSync so that the local sync / cloud sync is managed via a right click on the file/folder in Windows Explorer?

Tagging @dipesh, one of our engineers

Hello @Ryan,

Please check if the following workaround applies to you:

Thanks

Thanks @terpua, the workaround for the overlays worked.

Re. choosing cloud sync / local sync - can you update Insync to allow this to be done via a right click in Windows Explorer? It’s so much easier and more efficient to do this via Windows explorer than to have to browse via the InSync app.