Update 2: free Prime promo and upgrade paths

Thanks for clarification !

Why not automatically push all “plus” users to “prime”, make upgrade process easier for everyone and show how you take care of all your subscribers ?

3 Likes

Thanks for your efforts to clarify this situation. I did actually read the first email in my spam folders, but was confused by it and forgot about it.

At the moment, I think I have three Pro accounts (for my Mum, my Dad, and I) and a Business account (with five slots for my employees).

I think it makes sense for me to upgrade the Pro accounts to Prime, as they are single user accounts with static email addresses.

I am not sure about the Business account. We change employees from time to time, as any business does, so if I upgrade this account to Prime, am I paying for five specific email addresses to be upgraded to Prime (some of which might be wasted when we change staff and delete their old G-Suite accounts), or just paying for five slots which can be reassigned to new people (as is currently the case with the Business account)?

Also, how come the GBP price is the same as USD and EUR? Presumably I can just pay in the cheapest of the three for me? :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Tom

Why do you differentiate between @gmail users and GApps users? I’m currently on Pro and I use a GApps ID as my personal email. If I had used a gmail ID I could’ve upgraded to Prime for free, but now I need to pay for it. I don’t mind paying for the product, but I’m wondering why only GApps users need to pay.

Yeah, that’s also a thing.

My Pro accounts are G-Suite accounts, but for personal use.

I guess it is a way to try and differentiate personal and business use without assessing customers on an individual basis?

This is weird indeed.

I for example have just purchased a Plus account for my university’s GApps email, and I have to pay to upgrade?

At least educational institutions’ GApps should be able to upgrade for free - the $25 price tag was already a bit steep for a poor PhD student. :slight_smile:

hi @terpua
thanks for the extra clarification (for me however, it was already clear after your 1st try ;)). I would however suggest to make the forum link Janine has sent out today, redirect to this post instead of the old one to avoid confusion.

as a plus user, thanks for the free upgrade, it is really a gift since this was not part of the deal. I would probably happily pay again since i am quite a satisfied insync user on linux. I :blue_heart: insync!

happy new year :beers:

1 Like

I once stopped using insync for over 6 months when I was travelling and only using a mobile.

When I came back home and started using my linux laptop again, insync updated itself and continued working flawlessly as it did before.

What if I had happened to have done this again, or someone else? Except this time around, insync will not be working properly since I would have missed the “free upgrade” window.

I don’t understand why you are “grandfathering” accounts that are “eligible” for free upgrade, when you can simply upgrade these accounts automatically.

My GApps account that is on a Plus plan (one-time payment, not subscription) is not eligible for a free upgrade. I don’t see a reason why it shouldn’t be, a 30% discount means it is still more expensive than initial purchase, which at the time it was promised I would receive all program updates.

I definately won’t be adding a 2nd GApps account to insync, that’s for sure.

There are alternative cloud syncing services that have been created since insync’s beginnings that work with multiple OS, multiple services, multiple accounts at the same time for one price. It would be stupid to continue giving insync money for the same thing, for each individual account too.

I don’t even have that many accounts. Can’t begin to imagine how frustrating this is for people with a multitude of them.

Essentially the best fix from here is honor your one time payment model customers with free automated upgrades so they don’t even have to think about this fiasco, regardless of the account being @gmail or @gapps.

You’ve essentially decided to move your subscription plan customers to a one time payment (people who would pay anyway), and thought what the heck, I’ll sting a few one-time payers again with some tricks (people in these forums).

1 Like

My thoughts, exactly

Basically if you missed the email time-window, because of spam, or simply because you are on holiday, you don’t get the upgrade? this doesn’t make sense…

i have 3 accounts since 2014 for PLUS, for a life-time subscription, which supposed automatic updates, so it would only make sense to automatic upgrade from you, this way you take care of your existing customers…

if this is not happening, i will definitely not be adding new accounts…

1 Like

Because they want MORE MONEY from their loyal customer.

IF YOU PAID ONCE, YOU ARE LIKELY TO PAY TWICE.

1 Like

Didn’t get the promo mail, not even in spam folder

I think you are still handling this very poorly. Your communications are most unclear. I suggest you create email templates for each customer profile (Pro/Plus/Whatever) and email each of your customers with their options clearly laid out, not cluttered up with some of your other product licences that we may know nothing about. You should also honour the free offer, whatever it was supposed to be, and not penalise your customers because you failed to correctly spam-check your own promo emails before sending.

3 Likes

Sooo. I have looked at the posted info and have noted that there is no mention of “Insync Plus!” users at all. what is our upgrade path?

Yeah, I just spent $25 on a plus account a couple of weeks ago. Will I now need to spend +$30 for both drive accounts I’m using? None of this makes any sense.

The first rule of customer service is to make sure the customers are actually happy. That does not seem to be going on effectively here.

The other day I had the chance to recommend inSync to a friend but chose to recommend oDrive (which is more expensive) even though it was a bit overkill for him. I did so just because of all of this mess. Often principle will eclipse value, I’d personally pay more to a company which treats me right when things get wonky, than less to a company that does not. What is the value of “Word of Mouth” to the inSync folks?

This could have been a great opportunity to spread the app through a satisfied customer base who would be happy to recommend it to others…

2 Likes

Like I said on Twitter I uninstalled the app and deleted the Repositories, I don’t trust Insync as a business after this PR fiasco, specially when it had direct access to my machine.
I won’t have a “old” app running on a updated distro, that’s plain stupidity.
I paid and the app worked great, now you guys/gals need more money to keep working and I understand it.
I’m sure you’ll ask money again when you arrive at a 4.0; 6.0. I already pay a subscription for Google Drive and I don’t need another for the app, specially when it’s google that hosts the files.
Again best regards and all the best for the future.

1 Like

Dear terpua!

You could just say the version 2.0 of the app is here and we have to buy it. It was the condition at least we Plus users agreed when we paid for your service. So why this promo bullshit? This is bad PR and your explanations are making it worse.

And why using different terms for the same application for customers with GApp? You know, not all of GApp users are business users. Many nonprofits, pro-bono and educational institutions used this option Google had offered. Why do we have to pay more than the others? Again, bad PR.

You said you want to make things simple. Yet you offer different upgrade plans with different conditions and different price label for different users. And to make matters worse you are implying, but not promising the promo offer might be free for ever. That could lead to some interesting legal battles in the future. You should really fire whoever wrote that. Oh, it was the CEO.

Best regards;

3 Likes

What about bloggers with free Insync Pro accounts?

I didn’t know I was confused until I got the email that sent me to the post that sent me to this post.

Now I’m confused, and I think if you need three emails, two support posts, all of which are multiple paragraphs in length, and multiple sign-up and upgrade URLs, you should re-think your pricing and consolidate your communication before hitting “send” next time.

The question from the customer’s side is always simple: Is the In Sync product I purchased going to keep working and be supported, or do I need to install/buy something else? At that choice point we evaluate In Sync versus Google Drive and go from there.

In 6 sentences or less, tell us what, exactly, we need to do to keep your product working and supported. Use targeted email if you have to.

2 Likes

Hello,
do I get discount when I change from “Plus” to “Prime”?

Many greetings

Stefan

I never got the first email(not even in my spam folder).

Anyways. I bought Plus around Sept. and only use it only on one linux server. If I upgrade when the new promo page is posted, do I lose anything?

If I’m understanding correctly, I’ll get future updates, and nothing else really changes?

These posts seem weirdly simple, and vague at the same time.