Update: free Prime promo and upgrade paths

Note: have 2nd update posted on January 3 – Update 2: free Prime promo and upgrade paths

Hello all.

Sorry for the confusion brought about by both the new pricing (Prime) and free promo releases.

Originally, the intention was to give existing customers a free Prime account for their extra Gmail accounts (not existing paid Gmail accounts) as a year-end thank you present. And a 30% upgrade path to Prime for those that have existing Gmail and GApps/3rd party accounts.

But what ended up happening was the free Prime account for extra Gmail accounts was taken to mean free Prime for new users or paying more to upgrade to Prime for existing paid Gmail accounts, leaving a bad taste in your mouth (I would feel the same way). But that was not the intention and the spirit of the promo.

To alleviate the issues, we will do the following…

We will create a new upgrade page for existing customers that allows you:

1. to upgrade to Prime for free for a limited time if you have an existing Plus, Pro or Business Gmail account, and then 30% off after the limited time offer
  2. to upgrade to Prime for 30% off if you have an existing Plus, Pro or Business GApps/3rd party account

The release of the upgrade page (and the duration of the limited time offer) will be announced in a separate email after the holiday season (we still need to code it) so please make sure that support@insynchq.com emails aren’t going to spam (we’ve had some reports). We’re looking around January but don’t quote me :wink:

We think this is more than fair and we hope you feel the same way. Please comment below.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Note: you can no longer upgrade to Prime from /buy/prime. If you use @gmail and have already upgraded to Prime and would like a refund, email support@insynchq.com.

9 Likes

fyi, the promo mail from happiness@insynchq.com went straight into spam bin. Luckily I check it from time to time :slight_smile:

Hi!

I have received the mail from the happiness address, but in that I only find a link which leads to the /free page. If I login there with my existing account the link provided leads here. Where should I upgrade?

Thanks.

The upgrade option for existing customers is not avail until January.

Happy holidays!

1 Like

I’m guessing this offer is done? Went to my spam bin and the URL doesn’t work :neutral_face:

2 Likes

no mails to my account as well. but as mentioned above it might only come after 1st.

I still haven’t gotten the 1 feature that I was told would be available a very long time ago, and the reason I got Plus to begin with. Once 2.x comes out, I’m pretty done with Insync if I have to pay another dime.

1 Like

The free promo (for new email accounts) is over but the upgrade path for existing email accounts will be available in January.

We will send 2 more emails:

1. an update on the upgrade path which links them to this post
  2. the availability of the upgrade page when ready

Let me know if this clarifies it.

2 Likes

Seems fair to me, subject to the new upgrade pages making sense. Which means that answers to the following will be easy to understand, so that I can make sensible purchasing decisions:

1. I paid for Plus, I have several gmail accounts. If I don’t upgrade to Prime, I assume these will all still work and the current version Insync client (Linux, Windows, Android) be actively maintained, because that’s what I paid for, but without major version upgrades?

2. If I upgrade to Prime, for one or more accounts, what about the ones I don’t pay to upgrade? Will I still be able to use them?

I would observe that you’re in danger of losing a lot of clients, who have already paid for a great product on the terms you previously offered, because your upgrade strategy is completely unclear and, for anybody who has several accounts or who purchased an account recently, a huge percentage cost increase.

I think we all understand that we need to pay to use a service like this, but Prime looks to most of us users to be a money-grab which hasn’t been thought through at all.

The sooner you get a pricing strategy sorted out, the better. Ideally that strategy would offer:

Clarity;
Low, fixed, single one off upgrade cost to existing customers, however many accounts they have - they got you here;
Clear advantages to upgrading;
Service guarantee for existing paid customers who choose not to upgrade;
For new customers, a reasonable annual charge - most of us understand that’s what you need to finance the operation.

4 Likes

I’m an InSync customer since a few years now. There were various changes to your pricing model, so honestly, I have no idea, which license I have now. How can I find out?

7 Likes

To add to the confusion: until i got an email from Insync about 2 minutes ago apologizing for any confusion and pointing me to this thread, i had not heard a thing about this before.

5 Likes

What a load of crap…Plus, Pro, Prime etc What is all this garbage? I’ve no idea what’s going on and have no inclination to spending the time to study it.

Laughably stupid attempt to make the service more profitable. How much for the super duper hyper amazing account please?

8 Likes

I don’t understand. I can’t remember what kind of account I have as it was so long ago. I think I paid something when I set it up but not since. I have now moved to live as a subsistence farmer in rural Poland and don’t do much IT anymore. Do I have to do anything? Will my service still work as I’m used to?

3 Likes

I never got the first e-mail and now I am confused! I did pay for the original app and my question is, if I didn’t upgrade to Prime, will it still work? Some guidance and clarity will be nice.

3 Likes

Forgive me, but I don’t understand the distinction between extra gmail accounts and paid gmail accounts? I have an Insync pro account with my main gmail account and one additional gmail account (2 total), I think my Insync pro account just re-upped a few weeks ago, what’s the bottom line for me?

1 Like

I received the email with the gift on the spam folder too, seen today after reading this last email.

So I lost my account with you?

Yes, can someone please explain how the new levels compare to old ones, and whether legacy old levels will continue to work? Otherwise, how could I know if I want to upgrade?

1 Like

I never got an original prime anything to upgrade email but only this follow up.

whats this prime crap? I just want insync to work :confused: first was the forced 1.x to 2.x upgrade now this?

do I still have a ‘Plus!’ account? what does that mean now? what a mess.

kinda odd that the ‘upgrade’ is now over and so many of us never got an original upgrade 30% off email?

ugh. messy.

1 Like

What’s the difference between Prime and what there was before?

This sounds like a pricing change, not a feature upgrade worthy of moving from 1.x to 2.x (Plus users were promised free upgrades to 1.x versions). Why should paying customers pay for a pricing change? Maybe if Prime included a bunch of new features, but it doesn’t seem like that’s the case at all…

2 Likes

Your clarification email/post did not serve its intended purpose. I paid for your app years ago and have enjoyed its functionality. Will my service continue to work or will I now have to pay for a (overpriced) subscription fee? If that’s the case I will certainly be looking for an alternative.

1 Like