1st sync, AddLocalGDItem "invalid argument" error without much detail

Error report:

Linux-x86_64-linuxmint/21.3
AddLocalGDItem
OSError
[Errno 22] Invalid argument: <path> -> <path>

Also see screenshot near the end of this post.

This is one of several files that are giving me these errors. I’ve just downloaded InSync, trying it out (free trial) before committing to a purchase. It’s a first time fresh install, fresh sync. I got a bunch of rename errors too, but I figure it’s because of colons or quotes in the Google Doc names, etc.

This AddLocalGDItem, I have no clue. It happens for regular Google Doc, Google Sheet files and also for “shortcut” style Google Docs and Google Sheets. Other than that, I don’t know what’s weird about those files. In my file manager, the files aren’t there (as expected, since it says “None”) though those files do show up in the InSync app, so it’s not the end of the world.

Anyone has any clue for how to rectify this? Thank you! If there’s a way to privately send my logs.db and out.txt file, please let me know.

Hi! Responding here as well to help others who might experience something similar since we’re in correspondence via email.

From our discussion, it seems like you found a pattern that these were caused by invalid characters and that removing them cleared the errors. Those may not always be easily discoverable, so when in doubt, best to send your logs to support@insynchq.com - which you already did! So, thank you for that. :slight_smile:

Hi Mia!

Actually, the one that you and I discussed over email was the “RenameLocalItem” kind, which was easier to understand because it showed me the local file’s name and the cloud file’s name so that I can compare.

This “AddLocalGDItem” one gives no clue at all as to what’s wrong. In fact, some of the affected files have just plain alphanumeric characters in the filename, so at least this time it’s nothing to do with the filename.

My other suspect (maybe a reach) is the full filepath being too long but IIRC Linux can have 4000 characters or something, so it can’t be that.

@wxs7 Ah! I got a little confused because the error message you reported in the thread was also “AddLocalGDItem” but indeed, later in the thread you mentioned that removing the invalid characters fixed the “RenameLocalItem” issues.

Apologies for assuming incorrectly!

Let me go back to our thread since I’ll be mentioning a few files from your logs pertaining to the invalid argument error. Thank you!

I’ll update this thread regarding the AddLocalGDItem, since it’s resolved now and perhaps future readers might be interested to learn of this data point.

Yesterday, I noticed that after I boot my computer, InSync was not able to find the Base Folder. It’s the first time it complained about it, because previously I ran InSync only after I mounted my hard disk drive to that “/media/blablabla/HDD1.”
I went through steps to automatically mount my hard disk drive on startup by editing my /etc/fstab, restarted my computer (this is probably the 5th power cycle after my first installed InSync).
Now things are fine! No more “AddLocalGDItem” error – I even see the green checkmark on my tray!

The files that it complained “AddLocalGDItem” previously now do appear in my local file system. No more errors now. I didn’t even update InSync; still v.3.9.1.60010 like in all my bug reports.

Is it a coincidence? Did somehow mounting my HDD on startup fix it? I don’t really know why, but it seems the problem is gone.

1 Like