Apple Silicon native version of Insync [beta build available for testing]

I set up Insync last night on my M1 MacBook Pro, and it’s using 2.56 GB of RAM right now, and it’s not doing anything. The sync finished overnight.

And there is an InSync web content process using an additional 158 MB of RAM.

That’s a lot of RAM for a sync client.

I hopped on my Intel Mac Mini and Insync is using almost 3 GB of memory on that machines, and that’s running natively. That still seems like a LOT of RAM, even running natively.

there is a known mac memory leak issue that we are looking into but thanks for posting. support or an engineer might request further info to help us test/debug.

1 Like

@Andy_Pastuszak Hi! Could you please send your logs.db and out.txt files to support@insynchq.com with the link to this post?

You can access your logs over at: ~/Library/Application Support/Insync. You can copy and paste that path in Finder’s Go -> Go to Folder. If it’s too big as an attachment, you may send us a shared link to download.

It’s been 19 months since Apple released the M1 / Silicon developer transition kit. It’s been 14 months since Apple released M1. It’s been about 14 months since the first reports of problems that resembled memory leaks started appearing on your forums.

I have been a paid INSYNC license holder for probably four or five years. I have had Insync up and running for about 2 months total of that. Every now and then I try it, and then I abandon it after a very short trial because it is slow and a resource hog.

Great idea in theory. I think it is not very well executed. I presume you are using a very slow cross-platform framework to make it easier to develop one solution. If that is the case, I think any such choice is a bad choice for apps that run on the filesystem, which is effectively in need of native speed.

Sorry @mia. I just saw this. Those logs are long gone now.

I also want to know if anyone is even thinking about getting this running on Apple Silicon. Apple’s transition to Apple Silicone ends at the end of 2022. Apple Intel is a dead end.

Hello everyone!

Happy to announce that we have a beta build available for our Apple Silicon users. If you’d like to test it out, please shoot an email to support@insynchq.com and include the following details:

• Subject line: “Beta build for M1”
  • Link to this Forums post

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! A few updates on the Apple Silicon/M1 build:

• We will refer to our macOS build as the Mac universal build (aka Mac uni build) moving forward
  • For the ones who emailed over the weekend, please standby! :slight_smile: We are working on a newer build for you guys to try.