Best practices location for insync software?

Hi folks,
Considering insync-portable will run from just about anywhere that you have permissions for, I’m asking if there is a suggested location for me to copy the files to? This is on CentOS 7 and I’d like to eventually add it into a format of “systemctl start insync-portable” to the boot process.

i.e. What location (/usr/, /usr/local/, /opt/, /home/, etc.) is suggested by “best practices” for the installation of insync for CentOS 7. Ideally it should only be available to admin users.

Ideally I’d like insync to also run as a limited user that can only touch the sync folder with a minimum of permissions.

Looks like I’ll be forking over some bucks for a full license, but was hoping to get a VMWare image fully working before I purchase the license.

/brian chee

@Brian_Chee: The Insync package copies its files to /usr/lib/insync and adds an entry to /usr/bin that looks like the following:

#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/lib/insync
LC_TIME=C exec ./insync "$@"

You could do a similar thing to insync-portable.

Regarding permissions, the user Insync is running as should have full permissions to the Insync folder. So you can set Insync to run as a user other than root but it needs rwx permissions for the Insync folder and subfolders and rw permissions for the files.

So once I go to the pay version, does the installer actually move the files or is insync-portable the same as when I buy a full license?

I’m using CentOS 7, so the only download option for me was insync-portable…I would love a GUI version, but the Fedora 17 version no longer exists as a download option, the oldest download option is Fedora 20.

/brian cbee