Can I use InSync to upload only

Hello,
I’m trying using InSync to backup my photo into Google Drive (I know that it does not work with Google Photos free API).
Is there any way so that InSync just only upload files in to a Folder without sync (Do not download exist files, delete or remove local files would not effect the Online one).
With this functionality I think I could use it for automatically backup photos.
Thanks
Truc

2 Likes

Hi @Le_Kien_Truc Insync, by default is a two-way sync tool, so we cannot support this yet. Rhis is something that we are thinking of adding in Insync in the future :slight_smile:

I would really like to see this as well. My gmail was recently hacked and deleted everything from my drive. Unfortunately that means it also deleted everything off my computer! I was using Insync as a backup tool, but now must implement a separate system for that as well.

In my opinion, it is really essential to have an option of upload/download only! Please consider implementing it as soon as possible!

Thanks for the input @Dmitry and @Chase_DiMarco! We’ll take note of this. :slight_smile:

This is the opposite of the ‘pull mode’ I suggested before. Both modes will be highly beneficial.

1 Like

has this been added, yet ?

One way sync has not been integrated into our app yet :slightly_frowning_face:

Is there any ETA, as to when this will be implemented?

@Nikolas_Lindau,

Not at the moment, as our main goal for now is to release Insync 3 which will ultimately provide a better core and better syncing speeds. This upgrade on our core will make it easier for us to implement new features (including one-way sync) and release iterations faster.

I hope you understand. As much as we would like to work on requested features right now, our main focus is to improve our main job, which is syncing.

1 Like

@Nikolas_Lindau @ellnic @Chase_DiMarco @Dmitry @Le_Kien_Truc

You’ll be pleased to hear that we’re currently looking into one way sync :slight_smile: are any of you available for a 1:1 call some time next week? We wanna hear your workflows and use cases so that with your help, we can make this feature as good as possible.

@jbec Im testing Insync right now and want to use it to upload a lot of files to a google drive. one-way-sync would make this a lot easier.

After uploading to the google drive, i want to remove the files locally without insync deleting the files in the cloud (which it does atm).

i would be available for talking in discord, but i’m not a native speaker, so a call would be difficult for me.

These are great news!

I had a conversation with Gio Tiongson on 30 July 2018 regarding that, I think the recording should be saved somewhere.

I have quite tight schedule for next few weeks, but if you think having another 1:1 conversation is useful, I’ll try my best to find time for that since one-way sync is an important feature to have and I appreciate that you guys work on this to implement it in the best possible way!

Perhaps, in either case, I can write here the most important thing I want to say regarding my expectations.
First of all, I’m using InSync in non-continuous mode meaning that I don’t keep it syncing all the time but I rather run/unpause it only when I have updated some files locally.
So my biggest fear (and I’m sure I’m not the only one being paranoid about the loss of data) is that if somehow the files on Google drive get removed/damaged, I want to get notified about this when syncing occurs instead of having them removed automatically also from my computer (and hence for good from everywhere!). One-way syncing helps with this (since I only upload new/updated files as backup) by giving control of what happens. Otherwise, when I have a new laptop and I want to download all my backed up data, I’m afraid that it would sync the folders the wrong way and all my files would be purged from Google Drive - even though, it hasn’t never happened, I still prefer to be in control of the situation since the stakes are very high.
Ideally, when I unpause syncing (in either one or two-way sync), after the scan of files has happened, I’d like to see the list of changes that are going to be made before they are actually made so I could review them quickly and approve. I believe it is a very reasonable option to have.

Thanks once again for listening to your customers! I appreciate this a lot.

2 Likes

Hi @Qhitewolf,

Discord would be good! What day and time (in your timezone) are you usually available? Just want to chat about the specifics of your workflow so we can build the feature based on context.

Hi @Dmitry

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Similar to what I mentioned in my previous comment, I think that another 1:1 would be beneficial so that we could get the details of your workflow so that we can build the one way sync feature off that. What we generally look for is the specifics of each work flow so we know exactly how to build the feature and what little details to include so that your workflow is easier and you are more confident while using Insync. Your use case is particularly interesting because you use pause/resume by default.

What day and time are you most available (in your timezone)? It doesn’t have to be a video call if you really can’t. Another alternative would be to chat via a messenger app as mentioned by @Qhitewolf

don’t know how to send you a private message with discord username and the answers to yopur questions.

I’ll send you a private message containing my Discord username so we can chat there :slight_smile:

if you are still looking for 1:1 conversation you can send me a dm so we can get in more details on this. I really would appreciate if InSync would have this backup ONLY feature. It’s primarily the reason i got it but sad that it didn’t have it.

1-way sync is on the immediate roadmap :relaxed:

1 Like