Cannot update insync - "Error opening file for writing" insync.exe

Insync is trying to update to 1.4.3, but fails to do so. I’m prompted to download+install manually. insync1

However when I try to install I get this error:
insync2

Error opening file for writing:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Insync\App\Insync.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation,

Retry to try again, or Ignore to skip this file.

The installer is running in admin mode.
I’ve tried restarting a few times.
I’ve tried exiting Insync before starting the installer.
Running Windows 10 v1709
No AV software installed

I then tried going straight to the exe mentioned and any action on it is prevented. I can’t rename it or delete it.

The action can’t be completed because the file is open in System

Any pointers would be appreciated - what to look for or things to try. I’m hoping to be able to solve this without an uninstall; I’ve got a large amount of data synced, worried I might have to download it all again.

+1

I have exactly the same error.

Update - the situation became increasingly worse as some of the ‘locked up’ Insyncs had stopped updating and I suddenly lost several files yesterday. I had to uninstall InSync everywhere to stop propagation.

To do that I had to uninstall from Add/Remove programs - but the files were still at “C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Insync” - and still could not be deleted. I had to reboot, then go in and delete that folder.

And THEN reinstall. Unfortunately it’s going to be days to re-sync everything.

Tagging our engineer @dipesh and he will get back to you.

@mendhak If Insync app files are being locked by other programs, you must not delete the entire “C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Insync” folder but only the “App” folder inside it. Had you retained the “dbs” folder, the new Insync version would have simply picked up from where it had left off.

Thanks

@dipesh was your answer supposed to be a solution to this problem? I uninstalled insync and can’t reinstall it because of this same issue. Do you know a solution?

@scottymiller9 Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to find a solution as to how to ensure 100% success of Insync auto update. It appears that some other programs are preventing the files from getting replaced. So, for now, we recommend that you do the following:

1. Uninstall Insync
  2. Delete the folder: “%appdata%\Insync\App” (It’s fine if you are unable to delete the InsyncShellExtensions.dll and InsyncShellExtensions64.dll files present in there)
  3. Download the latest version from here: https://www.insynchq.com/downloads and install it.

Let us know if you are able to install then.

Thanks

@dipesh I can’t delete the app folder for the same reason I can’t write to it :frowning: I tried that yesterday

I had a look at Process Explorer to see if anything was locking the .exe file. Did a search for Insync and only these three entries appear:

Not sure if this is any use but thought I should post it anyway if it helps with troubleshooting.