Change check mark icon size in caja

Hello,

Running ubuntu mate with caja integration. The green check mark icon indicating successful syncing with google drive works perfectly. However, the green check mark icon is very large, much larger than the folder icon. Is there any way for me to adjust the check mark icon size to make it smaller and more proportionate to the folder icons?

Thank you.

P.S. The green check mark icons are the proper, proportionate size in Linux Mint Mate but oversized in Ubuntu Mate. So I know the icon size is adjustable but I haven’t discovered the setting to do this.

tagging our engineer @lpugoy and he will get back to you

@hubeny76: You can try these steps as a workaround.

sudo apt-get install imagemagick
temp=$(mktemp -d)
pushd "$temp"
mkdir 16x16
cp /usr/share/caja/icons/hicolor/64x64/emblems/emblems-insync* .
for emblem in $(ls *.png); do
  convert "$emblem" -resize 16x16 16x16/"$emblem"
done
sudo cp 16x16/* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/emblems/
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/hicolor
popd
rm -r "$temp"

This creates smaller versions of the check mark icons. You might need to restart caja for the changes to take effect. To restart caja, try running caja -q then caja ~/.

This worked. Thank you. I also had to create 32x32 icons for caja icon mode, the 16x16 icons work for caja list mode.

I found it easier this way. You find where the icons are (usr/share/caja/icons/hicolor/64x64…) you open it as an administrator. I can right click on an emblem and choose resize image or you can do so in Gimp. Resize to the size you like - save and log out - log in…It’s done…Cheers!

This problem persists in Caja as of 18 Dec 2017. What’s weird is that it affects my home computer, but not my computer at my office. Both machines are running Mint 18.3. I assume that something is different somewhere, but I don’t know where to start looking.

Extended @lpugoy answer with more icon-sizes.

Install imagemagick:
sudo apt-get install imagemagick

Then create and run following script:

#!/bin/bash 

ICON_SIZES=(8x8 16x16 22x22 24x24 32x32 36x36 42x42 48x48 72x72 96x96)

temp=$(mktemp -d)
pushd "$temp"
for icon_size in "${ICON_SIZES[@]}"; do
    mkdir $icon_size
    cp /usr/share/caja/icons/hicolor/64x64/emblems/emblem-insync-* .
    for emblem in $(ls *.png); do
      convert "$emblem" -resize $icon_size $icon_size/"$emblem"
    done
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/icons/hicolor/$icon_size/emblems/
    sudo cp $icon_size/* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/$icon_size/emblems/
done
popd
rm -r "$temp"

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/hicolor
1 Like