Common folder for sync in multiple Operating Systems

Is it possible to install insync in two different operating systems (say Windows and Linux) and sync to a common folder, without breaking anything.

No, this isn’t possible at the moment and will definitely create issues. We will take this as a feature request to consider for future versions. Thank you!

Oh look, another person requesting this feature… :confused:
People love this software because its probably the best client for Linux. Support for a dual-boot situation should be at the top of the list imo.

I essentially requested the same thing in this post from 18 months ago.

I’m resisting upgrading my subscription until this feature is available.

You could try installing in one machine, then copying this folder to the other.

Don’t know how it would behave though.

c:\users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Insync

I have a PC with dual boot, Linux and Windows and
I have installed Insync in both OS.
I’ve synched the same folder of GDrive into both OS and for me works all right: i can put a file in Linux and find It later in Windows.

But I’m not sure that this is the asware in the question…

No. That is not whats wanted. Files copied will be shown even if Insync isn’t running.

Insync must be able to sync files by using a common configuration file in all Operating systems. So that the sync can be done in both Windows as well as Linux.

RIght now, since Linux is my primary OS, I boot into Linux when I want to sync changes to drive but since I have my work in Windows I boot back into windows, make changes and reboot to Linux to upload the changes.

I think its partly possible in Windows and Linux.

For this, Insync must be updated to choose where the configuration file and databases must be (give a custom preference for the user). After that in case the configuration is different for different OS, we can use Windows Subsystem for Linux and start insync-headless.

This is just a workaround. But a minor update is still required just to use a custom path for configuration files.

This is the 5-6th time this feature has been requested. I genuinely hope you guys consider the idea very seriously! You’re THE Linux Google Drive client, take advantage of that before a competitor steps in!

Terence sent me an email asking what is the one thing I needed.

I said, sync a common folder from multiple operating systems.

And I’m not upgrading until it’s available.

I would also like this feature. I’m only on the free trial right now, and so far I really like the program. I use Google Drive for work, and do a lot of programming in Linux, so this client is great for that. However, I also do a lot of Word document generation/editing for work, and having to switch my dual-boot computer back to Windows to make/edit a file, then switch back to Linux to sync it, etc is a major nuisance. I’m considering not even buying the program because of it, and just figuring something else out (like just using Google Drive web client instead or something).

Just a heads up that you are already losing clients because of this. Otherwise, I LOVE your software.