Convert and download as shortcuts

Currently, I have the options to choose to convert Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Drawings to desktop format.

1. Do not convert Google format files
    They will be synced as shortcuts to the files online and will NOT contain the file data.
  2. Convert to Microsoft Office
  3. Convert to OpenDocument.

Now, I work offline a lot (traveling, visiting customers, etc) so the “Convert to …” option is very useful.
However, I also need to work on truly shared Google Docs/Sheets/Slides/Drawings.

How about the option to Download as Shortcuts AND download a Converted version (MS Office or OpenDocument)?

Hi @jedison thank you for your input. We understand your need as it is a hassle to maintain online files. However, we have to see if this is a setup a majority of users want, I will bring this up to the team and let you know if it is possible.

I am thinking if this might be a cause for additional duplication issues.

Thanks!

Yeah, I thought about the duplication issue as well, but I think that should be OK.
Either I am editing locally the converted versions (which are synched up to Google Drive) or I am editing the Google Doc version and getting updated converted versions locally.
Anyways, I can do that now: edit local (converted) version or edit online Google Drive version.

Could I second the request for selective control over convert? Sometimes you want to work offline on a spreadsheet, say and sometimes you want to work on the same spreadsheet with a colleague, online, simultaneously.

+1 for selective conversion. I need to share Google docs formats for collaboration and it would be great to have Office files as well. Thanks!

+1 for conversion and download of links

+1 for conversion and download of links